140 SMK and Reloder 16

kilotanker22

140 SMK and Reloder 16 load test update.

So I picked up some 6.5 mm 140 grain SMK bullets yesterday and some Reloder 16 for my 6.5 Creedmoor. I plan to compare consistency between reloder 16 and 26. So I guess my question to you all is.

If you have used these two components (the SMK, and Reloder 16) in 6,5 Creedmoor. Where abouts are you guys finding your best results in the load range?

Sierra lists a max charge of 43.5 grains, so I will probably start with a Satterly ladder test from 41.5-43.5 grains. Just curious where everyone else is finding their sweetspots with these components

Last edited:
I could never get the 140 SMK to shoot as well as 140 ELD-Ms, the Berger 140s or 142 SMKs.
I suspect that the older design 140 SMK shape has more bullet body touching the riflng than the Hornady and Berger 140s and the 142 SMKs, and that makes the difference, at least in my three 6.5mm CMs.

I gave up trying to make them work.
However I never shot the 140 SMKs with RL-16 or RL26, so you may find they work for you.

I did not have great success with RL-16 and SMK’s. But it was not terrible, it just could not compare with H4350. I cannot cite numbers at this time because I am packed up to move in the near future, but RL-16 never gave me much better than MOA@1000, whereas H4350 gave better than 1/2 MOA@100. Tested through Savage 10 FCP with 24” barrel.

I did not have great success with RL-16 and SMK’s. But it was not terrible, it just could not compare with H4350. I cannot cite numbers at this time because I am packed up to move in the near future, but RL-16 never gave me much better than MOA@1000, whereas H4350 gave better than 1/2 MOA@100. Tested through Savage 10 FCP with 24” barrel.
Right, H-4350 was my first choice here, but that stuff is no where to be found right now. An old fella at the LGS told me that there was a strike in Australia where this stuff is made and that is the cause for the shortage. Who knows though.

I am gonna load some up. I will use both reloder 16 and 26. 26 has been shooting pretty well for me and pretty high velocities. Accuracy has been acceptable with 26, but i am hoping the 16 being a little faster burning will yield accuracy results similar to H-4350

"...plan to compare consistency between Reloder 16 and 26..." You have a load worked up for both? You need to do that before you can make a comparison.
Alliant's site does not list the Creed with RL26. Rumour has it that Berger lists 135 grain data though.
And a 140 is a 140. The construction doesn't matter.

I do have a load with Reloder 26 and 140 grain projectiles.
I have to work up some with Reloder 16. Although I still intend to make the comparisons. Having a good load to compare is obvious.

I loaded up a bunch tonight. I started at 41 grains RL 16 and worked up in half grain increments to Sierra's max charge. Loaded 10 of each charge so I can chronograph 5 and shoot a 5 round group with each.

I also loaded some of these bullets with the same load of Reloder 26 that has shot well for me with several other 140 class bullets.

I hope to get to the range tomorrow or Saturday, I will update you all with my results.

I tried some RE16 in 6.5 CM in my Savage 12FV with both 140gr RDF’s and 140gr ELDM’s. I forget what grains but within recommended load guidelines. Accuracy was just so so but velocity and pressure were pretty high right from the start. I only got about halfway through the testing before shutting it down. I didn’t blow any primers but several of the cases had to be discarded because the primer pockets were done for. I’ve crossed that one off my list.

Thanks for that Jet. If things get too hot I have no qualms pulling the bullets.

Also that Reloder 26 load definitely shoots better with some bullets than others. Hopefully this is one of the better ones. Although so far all have been sub MOA with single digits sd. Average speed of 2867 with 140 grain pills. I doubt I will see that with Reloder 16, but it is more temp stable supposedly.

So it went pretty well at the range. All groups throughout the load range were sub MOA. Ironically except for the Reloder 26 load.

The 43.5 grain Reloder 16 load was pretty hot. Flat primer with cratering and ejector swipe. All the rest of the loads had a light ejector mark except for the lowest load at 42 grains. Coincidentally, that 42 grain load is the winner I think. Average Velocity of 2798 fps, ES of 7 fps and SD of 2 fps. Group size was .54 MOA. The 42.5 grain load was ok too. Average velocity of 2835 fps ES 19 fps and SD of 7 fps. Group size was .65 MOA.

I am gonna load up 50 rounds for that 42 grain Reloder 16 to confirm what I think that load will do at various ranges.

I loaded 50 more of these tonight. I plan to go to the range tomorrow and confirm this load. I will chronograph a string of ten and then shoot 4 5 shot groups at 100 yards and 4 5 round groups at 300. That should give me enough data to confirm this load.

Back