14 rnd. Hi-Power Magazines?!?

Country Boy

I was at the gun show this past weekend, and I picked up some factory "standard capacity" (note: not "high" capacity, but "standard" capacity) 13 round Hi-Power magazines. After I had loaded one of them up, I noticed that there were 14 rounds missing from my ammo box. The last round wasn't difficult to load either. Is this a fluke? (If so, it's MY fluke now.) If you have a HP, would you load 14+1? Or would it create too much stress on the springs?

I recall reading an article some years ago where Mas Ayoob sent a BHP to Wayne Novak for some gunsmithing, and Novak returned the gun with a magazine that held 14 rounds. I don't remember all of the details, but I do remember ol' Mas stating that he pulled out his pocketknife and scratched a 14 into the baseplate.

Any ideas? I've heard of 17 round South African magazines (which was what I was originally looking for), but "these ain't them".

I read the same Ayoob article. It dealt with the fact that its easy to lose track of how many rounds were fired in an altercation. He mentioned that different brands of magazines sometimes had capacities that differed from their labels. Looks like you found some.

If it were me, and that 14th round was not hard to insert, I would use the full capacity. I don't think you'll shorten the spring life if you're not seriously over-stressing it.

And I do like those 17 rnd magazines. You can find 'em online at http://www.cdnninvestments.com

It could be that the spring is wearing out and is easier to compress. I have some generic mags that came with very weak springs that reguarly accept 14 rounds. The new or newly re-sprung OEM mags stop at 13. I also avoid overloading mags because I suspect that the overly compressed spring coils may be more likely to bind and get stuck together.

Hello. I've run into this a time or two with factory HP magazines as well as Ingles magazines. It's not "common," but neither is it rare. The (few) magazines I have that are like that are still loaded to but 13 rnd capacity for the sake of uniformity with flush-fitting magazines.

PS: Had grand luck with the 17rnd SA magazines, too.

Best.

Anyone know where a 20 round magazine could be found? I had a chance to buy the MecGar ones a couple years ago but did not, big mistake!

several of my BHP mags do this, FN mag included. I'll pass on #14, because when fully stuffed the top round sometimes wants to nose into the feed ramp and jam the gun when cycling back to battery after the first shot. A load of 13 doesn't bind the mag up and allows the nose of the bullet to tip up as its supposed to. Sometimes I have to drop the mag to clear this problem, not something I'd want to do if I needed the gun.

I have a fm mag that holds 14 ( it's suppose to) and I have a flush fitting 15 round mec-gar. I also have some sa 17 rounders and they work very well.

I'm not 100% sure, but...I BELIEVE that the Canadian-made Inglis magazines were DESIGNED to hold 14 rounds...some others may--or may not. I don't think it's wise to "overload" magazines, so...13 for me!!!....mikey357

Mikey357 is correct.

I am in the Canadian forces and instruct weapons training from time to time. Yes the Canadian made Inglis mags are 14rds and they do not jam up from being topped off. I however find them weak at the lips and unreliable. Even though I instruct with the issued mags at work I prefer the 10rd browning mags with the ejection spring for my own BHP in IPSC competition.

Moe

The Argentinian made Hi Powers also come with a 14 round magazine. I just recently purchased one and the owners manual does state this, so I know it isn't a fluke that it held 14..lol

Good Shooting
REd

Back