13oz .38special S&W ! help?

chaho

I just picked up my new AirLite Ti .38 special S&W revolver. Just wanted some feedback on the gun and type of ammo to use.

The Airlight is certainly an interesting piece of engineering - light but strong... However, the lightweight will make recoil seem that much more sharp... So the best thing for you to do is try out a sampling of loads to determine what you can handle accurately and somewhat comfortably... Of course, the best statistical loads (for self-defense) will be a +P loading. But in an Airweight, those can be tough to handle. Remember, it is important to put multiple, accurate shots down range in a defensive scenario (a double tap to COM gets the job done in most cases). So if that means selecting a lower powered round then that is what you should go with, in my opinion...

Congrats, is it the hammerless or hammer model? I got the hammerless, haven't shot it yet. But, judging from the airweights, which weigh a couple ounces more, get some hydrashocks or whatever. Damn the recoil, it's a belly gun, made to save yer bacon!

The accuracy will surprise you, they typically shoot to point of aim and group about 2 or 3 inches at 50 feet, in my experience.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

Kicks a lot but you can handle it.
Might be an owie if you shoot 100 rounds
at a session.

Federal Nyclads - not the +P are very manageable. Try +Ps to see if you can
do them.

I stayed with my 642 as I didn't want to
spend the bucks to trade but it's a great choice for pocket carry. I know lots of
tactical sort who never leave home without
a J frame

There has been considerable confusion about what ammunition can be shot in S&W Airlites.
A number pf articles in gun magazines have said you cannot shpot lead bullets in them. A friend of mine contacted Smith&Wesson when she got her Airlite and asked them which ammunition they recommended. They replied that you can safely shoot any .38 Special ammunition wiith the exception of .38 Secial +P loaded with unjacketed lead bullets which may jamb the revolver.

[This message has been edited by Hard Ball (edited December 29, 1999).]

Back