130 gr. speer flat point.

cook2007

Has any one had any experience with 130gr. speer flat point bullet. loading it for a 30 30 win. accuracy and ability to take down deer? thank you.

Last edited:
I don't know what your definition of "tuff" game is, but I wouldn't use a 130 grain 30 caliber bullet for deer, much less anything tougher. It's very light for caliber. I'd rather use a 170 grain if I had to use a 30-30 for anything at all large. My personal preference would be a premium 180 grain in a 30-06, FWIW.

180 grain out of a 30-06? I prefer a 500 grain out of a 460 Weatherby Magnum for deer. Those 180's should be reserved for ground squirrels.

The reviews on Midwayusa are all positive with the 30-30 shooters, and the price seems right for a box of 100. Load some up and share your results! Pictures are good, so is group data @100 yds and muzzle velocities. Good luck!

A 90 grain bullet fired in a .243 Win. will kill a deer at 400+ yards. The effective range of a .30-30 with a flat nose bullet would be much less than 400 yards (because of the trajectory) but a 130 gr. flat nose bullet fired from a .30-30 will certainly kill a deer wiithin range. FWIW I have two lever action rifles - a .30-30 and a .25-20 - but I have always used a bolt action rifle - .243 or .270 - when hunting deer with a rifle,

These kinds of questions and answers always stun me. If you are going to all trouble, time, and expense of planning a hunt, is the question really going to be "will this ammo work?" or would a better question not be "what is the best choice?" followed by an explanation of what specific beats, expected conditions and ranges.

If you are shooting 80 lb Carolina deer across a lot of space, it might be a good choice. If you are shooting 225lb Ohio deer in the woods at 60 yards there are MUCH better choices.

180 grain out of a 30-06? I prefer a 500 grain out of a 460 Weatherby Magnum for deer. Those 180's should be reserved for ground squirrels.

I appreciate the sarcasm, but the OP specified "tuff" game. I assumed, because he still hasn't said, that that meant something larger than deer.

I guess using a 22 long rifle for something tough like an alligator wouldn't be adequate either?

Yeah I saw that on TV last night too. Did you also notice that the gator they were trying to shoot was on a line they were trying to pull in, and that they were unable to hit the tiny soft spot behind the gator's head that was the only place a .22 could penetrate before it broke the line and got away? Of course we have no way of knowing if it escaped with a headache or died later. A perfect example of what happens to a lot of game because people use what "could" kill a game animal as opposed to what works best to kill a game animal.

I'll bet the 180gr from an .06 had a lot more areas it could penetrate for a quick kill.

A 130 SP will be fine. Reduce some of the excessive felt recoil of a 94 Win too. Assuming that's what you have. You must work up the load just like you would for anything else. Velocities run between 2187 and 2533.

I have a 7-30 Waters and the only factory load I know of is 120 Grain. Hornady dropped their 139 Gr Flat Point 7MM bullets. That is kind of like a 30-30 with 130 grain bullets. I don't know, it killed deer for me.

Lots of answers here, but few of them actually address your question about the 130 gr. in a 30/30. I've shot deer with the same combo at times over the years, along with a lot of other bullet weights and calibers. Load your 30/30 up and go shoot a deer, it will work just fine if you do your part.

close

I cannot exactly answer your question, as I have not loaded or taken any game with a 130/.30.

What I have done is loaded a 135/.30 SP, (the discontinued Sierra Single Shot Pistol slug for .30 Herret) into the 7.62x39mm and used them both in a Ruger bolt rifle (20" tube) and a Ruger Mini30. I never chronographed that load, but expect it was running about 2300 fps at the muzzle. Bamaboy and I have both taken a handful of whitetails with it. All were within 100 yds, well hit, got very dead, all with pass thru shots, some dead tight there,and others making the typical 20-30 yard scramble before piling up. Honestly, there was little if any to tell about difference than if they'd been hit with a heavier rifle. I'd suspect that the results with the 130/.30 would be the same.

Seems like I read once that some name old school (surprisingly) gun writer liked the 135/30 in .30-30 Improved. Charles ASKINS maybe?

When Sierra discontinued that 135 slug, and my supply began to run low, I began looking for an alternative, and the 130 FN was one I considered. About the same time, ammo/component prices began to skyrocket,and rather than invest in new slugs and a loading experiment, I simply loaded up what I had on hand, an assortment of 125's and 150's, and never really got around to standardizing on a replacement for the 135.

Why is it some folks think a 357 magnum revolver is perfectly adequate for deer yet a 30-30 rifle is marginal?

130 Speer

If you are talking about Speer #2007 130s then yes I loaded my 340 Savage up with them and have had it with me twice to Catoosa WMA for both deer and hogs.I load them with a max load of Varget.The load data says they run at 2496 fps out of a 24in barrel but expect closer to 2400 fps out of a 20in tube.This is an old bolt action rifle that is very light and this load combination proved to be very light recoiling and extremely accurate.I had bought this gun and developed this load for my son who is slight of build to say the least.After sighting in the scope I wanted to try it myself.I cannot give you any info on game performance as I haven't been lucky with it so far,but I have no doubt it will take a deer or hog if I get the chance.

130gr speer

I had a chance to try it out finally. Ended up running 38.5 gr w760 with the speer 130. It shot great!! at 100 yards the old rifle is shooting 1 inch at 100. Not bad for a old bolt action 30 30.

Back