12ga Ammo for 3gun? These OK?

Here is my opinion on shotgun ammo for 3 gun. I've only shot a few but around here 3 gun matches aren't constantly on clubs schedules like USPSA or IDPA.

If your shotgun accepts chokes any budget ammo that cycles your gun will be fine for a local match. A good TD won't make a stage where everyone has to use specialty ammo without at least putting out some kind of warning before hand. Without a choke you are better off using #6 shot or bigger (if they will allow it) but honestly budget ammo + modified choke is better than larger shot without a choke.

If your shotgun accepts chokes any budget ammo that cycles your gun will be fine for a local match.
Added emphasis is mine. Brand new gun, do not buy 250 until you know.

Will 2.7 DE/1145 fps work? Maybe not, depends on the matches. If they like to put poppers out a ways then, no. To get started, pay the extra $15/case and get birdshot with a little more oomph. I run #7.5 1255fps 1 1/8 oz to be sure, and when I shoot a popper, it goes down. ;) No need to get more oomph than that.

Go to Walmart and try the federal and Remington bulk packs. They are under $25/100 and should run in any gun. I have issues with the Winchester bulk pack in my benelli's. For matches I run Winchester AA's.

Back