12ga 3" in 2 3/4" bbl

markstop50

Inactive
Can 3" mag turkey loads be shot SAFLEY out of a std. 2 3/4" bbl. The gun is a older 1977 Rem. Wingmaster Magnum receiver, or just don't think about going against what is stamped on the bbl. Probably don't need 3" anyway, just a question. Thanks

Not recommended. It's what is on the barrel that matters. You may shoot 500 rounds with no issues. Then again.........

If you're thinking of doing this because a 3" shell seems to fit a 2 3/4 chamber, it's because chambers are sized for the fired shell, not just the unfired ones.
It's to make room for the extra case length when the crimp opens.
Where's the extra length of the 3" shell going to go when it's fired in a shorter chamber?

I've seen it done(from a safe distance;)), but I wouldn't try it unless I was in a life or death situation. If your about to die anyway what's the risk? Otherwise...safety always. Not first.

Boomer

Never fire a 3" shell in a gun chambered for 2 3/4"...

but I can't tell you how often ....I hear in gunshops ...where a guy is shopping for a used shotgun and someone takes a 3" shell unfired ....and says, sure, see it fits into the chamber - its ok ????
( its not ok )....like someone mentioned above, shotshells are measured after they are fired for length !

Back