125 GR. only .357 SP101

S.F.S

Anybody else own one of these older SP101's 125 Grain only?

I just picked mine up yesterday LNIB, a total of 10 rounds through the gun.
The SA trigger is nice, DA is a little heavy but it's a smooth pull. I was curious if I replaced the main hammer spring would I possibly hinder reliability? I would like to make cocking the hammer a little easier, that is why I want to do this.
I have not taken it for a test drive yet hopefully I will this weekend.

Thanks,
Scott

Production on those particular models were fairly limited. I do not know exactly how may were produced but you may have a Ruger with some collectors potential.

What I understand is they were the first ones to be manufactured only for about 2 yrs.
After that they went and extended the frame and cylinder to accomadate the higher grain .357's.

The earlier models were possibly built on .38 frames.

If you go to light with the spring it can lead to light strikes & misfires. I ordered the Wolf shooters pack and installed the 10lb spring - no misfires using my reloads and it lightned the pull a bunch.
When I changed the springs on my GP100 I did experince light strikes until I switched to Win. primers.
www.gunsprings.com

If you experiencing light strikes with other than a pure target gun......better to fix the gun than switching to softer primers.

Sam

I believe S.F.S is correct.
I recall reading about it in an old G&A, and if I recall, they were built on the .38 Special frame. The Ruger SP101 was chosen (these were the pre-.357 small snubbie days) because it had the stoutest built frame of them all.

Some rounds wouldn't fit the bored out cylinder of the little SP101 without poking through, yet the 125gr JHPs always would, hence that specific recommendation.

If anything were ever a testimonial of the SP101's strength, this would definately be it! ;)

Ruger will upgrade it for free basically replacing everything but a few internal parts. Can't beet that deal.

Ajacobs,
Ruger will replace the entire gun for free if I want they told me, so I can use a wider assortment of .357's.

I called Ruger this afternoon those SP101's were in production only for about 1 yr. and that was in 91, mine was manufactured in 2/91, so I have one of the earlier models.

riddleofsteel,
Im really not sure how many were made but I plan on hanging on to it.
I mostly shoot 38's at the range out of my .357's and when I do shoot .357's they are 125gr., also the internals are exactly the same as the new ones the only difference is the length of the frame and cylinder. A matter of fact on the back strap under the grip its etched 38.
I put some 158gr.in the cylinder and they fit with no problem but Ruger mentioned it may bind while rotating with them in there.
Im gonna try to find out about how many were produced.
There was no recall on them so strength was not the reason why they cancelled them.

Back