12 to 20 convertible shotgun

Krusty783

Inactive
My coworker is interested in a shotgun for home defense. Ideally he's looking for a ~ 20" barreled pump (auto is 2nd choice) that can be converted from 12 gauge to 20 gauge. Does such a thing exist?

This is beyond my area of expertise, so I hope someone can provide some guidance. 15 min with Google yielded nothing.

Edit: Just noticed that this is my first post despite 2 years of registered lurking...:confused: I guess I shouldn't worry so much about repeating other folks.

It sounds like someone wants a powerful gun for one person, and what's perceived as a less powerful gun for someone else.

They could, conversly, buy a 3" mag chambered 20ga pump for power & then download it using 2/3/4" field loads for the lower power lever desired.

In an HD situation, a 20ga can be just as effective as a 12ga, except in the mind of the holder.

You could use sub-gauge inserts to shoot 20 gauge shells in a 12 gauge barrel.

Chambermate and Gaugemate make inserts.

Just google "sub gauge inserts"

You cannot put sub-gague inserts into a pump gun / or a semi-auto shotgun.... you can only use them in break open action shotguns ( Over Unders, Side by Sides, single shot guns...)...

... in theory you could drop the chamber maters or whatever into the chamber of a pump gun ...but you sure cannot cycle 20ga shells thru a 12ga magazine reliably...or safely...without all kinds of issues...

The typical 20ga load is 7/8 oz of shot ( or "00" or whatever you want to shoot )....and its easy to find 7/8 oz loads for a 12ga.....just buy a 12ga pump and you'll be fine...( you'll get less recoil with the 12ga gun anyway / than a typical 20ga that is probably a full pound lighter ).

I wasn't really to worried about feeding. I should have specified that these could be used for practice purposes and 12 gauge loads used for HD.

It doesn't matter ...practice or not..../ its a bad idea to try and shoot 20ga shells in a 12ga pump gun.

Shoot light loads for practice..../ and just stay with a 12ga ( You accomplish the same thing).

And there is no need. 1 oz of shot performs exactly the same from a 12 as a 20 with exactly the same recoil. It is the ammo, not the gun. There are 12 guage loads readily availabe that duplicate 20 guage performance and recoil.

The purpose of buying a 20 is to have a lighter, easier to carry around gun. Even if it were possible to convert a pump or semi to 20 you would still have the 12's weight with none of the advantages of a 20.

Back