12 Guage Reloading

C7AR15

I started shooting Trap with my new CZ O/U shotgun. Using factory ammo,

It seems like no one at this club even reloads 12 guage any more ??

What happened ??? Ammo is reasonably priced ??

Not any more; ammo is becoming as scarce as 9mm or .22lr............issue is components, especially primers, are also hard to come by..............

Mainly because lead shot prices. 25 lb. bag of shot at $40to $60 dollars makes buying the better option. Plus primers have gone up too. Seems a case of target loads, 250 rounds can be found from 70-90 dollars while your 25 LB bag of shot only loads a few more than 300 rounds. Plus primers and powder.

Last edited:
Count yourself lucky - there will be a lot of free hulls left for you.:)

...your 25 LB bag of shot only loads a few more than 300 rounds

Actually, there is nothing that says you have to shoot 1 1/8 ounce loads at the 16 yard line, and I don't know anybody who does. I shoot 7/8 ounce loads and get over 450 loads out of a 25# bag of shot. By looking around and buying smart, I figure I save about $1 per box of shells, in addition to having better shells than the promotional shells that are sold cheaply.

Don

Mainly because lead shot prices. 25 lb. bag of shot at $40to $60 dollars makes buying the better option. Plus primers have gone up too. Seems a case of target loads, 250 rounds can be found from 70-90 dollars while your 25 LB bag of shot only loads a few more than 300 rounds. Plus primers and powder.

I reload 3/4oz for practice and I get 533 loads from a bag of shot. There is absolutely no reason to reload 1-1/8 oz for any clay game.

I'm with Fitasc. Now there are 3/4 ounce wads for 12 gauge so it's easy to load light. If somebody can break skeet targets with 1/2 ounce loads out of a .410 then anybody should be able to bust trap targets with 3/4 out of their 12 ga.Less cost,less recoil,less wear on the gun,more satisfaction....What's not to like

Back