12 Guage Marine Flares

Westicle

Can you fire these 12 guage Marine flares out of a Shotgun Barrel ??? just curious because I usually have a shotgun with me.

Will chokes make a differance ?? IC is whats in the riot gun.

Probably,but I doubt they would be kind to your bore.

White Phosphorus and Magnesium are the usual fuel in flares. Both burn very hot, much hotter than gunpowder, and my guess is there would be increased oxidation and maybe extra wear at the forcing cone and choke.

IIRC, the cleaning drill for the old MM79 included flushing the bore with water to neutralize and remove corrosives. Maybe someone else had more current info.

A shooter at my local club once tried this with a Model 12 trap gun. The flare got stuck in the choke and burned up inside the barrel and about two inches of the barrel turned cherry red. After it burned out, the metal that was in contact with the flare was left a dull gray and undoubtedly the temper of the steel was changed.

What was once a 30" full choked Winchester Model 12 trap gun is now a 24" cylinder choked skeet gun.

The only way to know if they will work in your chokes is to try it. How much barrel are you willing to chop if it doesn't?

Back