12 Gauge Winchester Model 12

ATN082268

I just inherited a 12 Gauge Winchester Model 12 pump shotgun. Anyone have experience shooting it and/or cleaning it. I found the official manual to be a little lacking in disassembly of it. I'm sure there are Youtube videos for it but are there any good ones and/or printed instructions for it? Thank you.

My 16th birthday present was a Winchester Model 12, 12ga. that was 50years old when I got it. I've done a little with it in the 40+years since. Not an expert, but I know a few things, what do you want to know??

BE AWARE that the majority of Model 12s DO NOT HAVE A DISCONNECTOR!!!!!

IF you hold the trigger back and shut the action, THE GUN WILL FIRE!!!!

Beyond that, they are rugged, durable, dependable guns, I think they are one of the finest pump guns ever made. Not as "slick" working as later guns with the dual action bars, but very good guns that will outlast generations of their owners.

Ask away, will answer what I can.
;)

Very serviceable.

I'm sure there are Youtube videos for it but are there any good ones and/or printed instructions for it? Thank you.
There are a number of YouTube videos and not sure if they will meet your expectation. I know because I was trying to help a friend with one he just bought. He shoots trap and skeet and I understand that these are preferred by some of those guys. ...... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

44 AMP said:
My 16th birthday present was a Winchester Model 12, 12ga. that was 50years old when I got it. I've done a little with it in the 40+years since. Not an expert, but I know a few things, what do you want to know??

BE AWARE that the majority of Model 12s DO NOT HAVE A DISCONNECTOR!!!!!

IF you hold the trigger back and shut the action, THE GUN WILL FIRE!!!!

Beyond that, they are rugged, durable, dependable guns, I think they are one of the finest pump guns ever made. Not as "slick" working as later guns with the dual action bars, but very good guns that will outlast generations of their owners.

Ask away, will answer what I can.

I appreciate the help. So far I have done a basic inspection of the weapon and fired a few rounds to ensure functionality. The weapon is in great shape and I will definitely keep it. I have also done some basic cleaning although most of it was done without disassembling the weapon. I did access the magazine tube and the spring was *really* dirty. I also removed the plug as I have no use for it.

I wanted to know how tight the magazine band should be on this weapon. The one on my shotgun is not super tight and has a little play in it. I noticed this before accessing the magazine tube, so I know I didn't do it :) Compared to most of my modern shotguns, it probably would be considered loose but it may be normal for this type of weapon. I also wanted to know how far you should go in breaking down the weapon for cleaning.

Thank you.

The mag tube band should be tight (snug) on the barrel, with no play. There is only ONE spot on the barrel where the band should go. There are (IIRC and its been a long time) "lugs" on the barrel that fit into recesses inside the band to give proper positioning. If you carefully loosen the band so it can be slid for removal (or remove it) you'll see what I mean. Often a loose band will be because someone didn't get it in just the right spot when they tightened it up, and it shifted slightly, later, to the right spot becoming slightly loose.

Normally, slightly loose (meaning can be moved slightly with the fingers) is not any concern for function.

PLEASE use the correct size HOLLOW GROUND screwdrivers for all screws. Nothing screams "I'm an ignorant, impatient idiot with my guns" like buggered up screw slots. If you don't have a set of "gunsmith" screwdrivers, GET ONE!!!
You can get a nice, quality multi bit ratchet handle cased set from several makers, in any well stocked sporting goods store, and of course, online. They aren't very expensive, and more than well worth every penny.

I also wanted to know how far you should go in breaking down the weapon for cleaning.

The correct answer is "only as far as you need to, and no further".

Keep in mind that "the weapon" here is the Winchester Model of 1912, and while it had a long and successful use as a military shotgun, it was never designed to be a military weapon, and was not made to endure the military's constant "field strip (or further), clean and reassemble, at every possible opportunity" style of maintenance. The fact that the model 12 was the main Army shotgun for decades is testimony to the excellence of its design's performance in a role it was never originally intended to have.

With normal use, everything you need to clean to keep the gun running 100% can be done without any takedown. That being said, breaking the gun down into its two main assemblies is something it is made to do. Full take down, done carefully, once in a while hurts nothing, but is only needed if the gun takes a dunking, or gets condensation sweats and needs to be dried out.

The Model 12 will work fine with an amazing amount of crud inside it. Designed well over a century ago it is a bit more complex than more modern designs in many ways. A different design philosophy than what is today's standard.

The unplugged magazine holds 6 (six) 12ga 2 3/4" shells. The most commonly seen old model 12s are the field grade guns without barrel ribs, most often with 30" full choke barrels. Mine is one of those, made in the early 1920s.

DO NOT USE STEEL SHOT!!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!
If you need to be shooting in an area & time when steel shot is the required legal ammo, USE A DIFFERENT GUN!
(detailed explanation on request ;))

I would recommend getting an exploded view of the gun on "hardcopy", it can be very handy, and works when the power is off or the net is down....

Like many guns with over century of use, entire books have been written about them. Lots of info out there.

The takedown procedure is more complicated than a Rem 870 or Mossberg500, but its not difficult once learned. Once you have seen a video or read the instructions, come back if/when you have questions.

44 AMP said:
The takedown procedure is more complicated than a Rem 870 or Mossberg500, but its not difficult once learned. Once you have seen a video or read the instructions, come back if/when you have questions.

Thank you. It is a beautiful shotgun and I plan to take good care of it.

I also wanted to know how far you should go in breaking down the weapon for cleaning.

Thank you.

If you open the link I posted, you'll be able to either download or print off the original owner's manual with all the instructions.

My brother in law bought me a Model 12 in 12 gauge with 28: modified barrel when I was 14 years old to hunt pheasants with. I am 69 and still have the gun and its in beautiful condition. I shoot trap with it every week. Its an excellent trap and bird gun as well as it shoots slugs very accurate making it a good deer gun.

i had a friend who was a watch repairman who has since passed who had a sonic cleaner and i would take my firearms there and take the butt stocks off and stick them in muzzle up and it realy clean the crud out. after a time letting the fluid drain off i would lighty lube them. eastbank.

I had one made in 1961, with the corncob style handguard and a polychoke. Loved that shotgun. Miss it dearly. It is what started my affinity for Winchester shotguns. My grandpa has a restored model 1897 i want bad. I have had a 1200 and 1300 and loved them.

Back