12 Gauge Jukar

45 vs 12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nanewt02

Got a beat up jukar rifle with a cracked stock and rusted awhile back. Its puny .45 caliber barrel disgusted me. Now it has a rifled 12 ga barrel on it rated for smokeless powder. but il stick with black power anyway. So much better now:D

12ga002_zpsd7411451.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

12ga003_zps449bef03.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

thanks! its a shame its a jukar, you can really tell the lockwork is crap, the metal is so impure it did not blue evenly. going to build a 10 gauge muzzleloader on one of those surplus flare gun platforms soon.
It will be able to handle full smokeless powder loads.
its a sawn off shotgun, without breaking federal law:D

Il replace them when i come across 2 that fit. its a 100 dollar jukar, nothing fancy, as you can probably tell, im more concerned about getting her ready to shoot than finding the proper screws. i still have to modify that front piece to actually hold the ramrod anyway

Im scared of the black powder prices, i havent bought any in so long

Man that thing is just TOO cool!!!

Can you replace the cheap Spanish lockworks with something else more modern?

So how did you pull it off anyway? Was the barrel always a 12g smoker, or did you weld an end to a smokless barrel.. Or?

LOL.. Not sure I would WANT to shoot a 10g on a flare pistol frame... Ive only got two wrists at the moment... Not sure I could spare one! :D

it is fill welded with a concave chamber, the whole barrel has been reforged. im rebarrelling a mossberg 695 and used a section from that barrel. i re-heat treated the barrel to roughly the same hrc. its safe with smokeless and will undergo massive proof testing this week and checked everyway possible.
but to stick on the extra safe side im only using black powder. I would have loved to thread it. but i would not feel comfortable with how deep the threads would have cut into the barrel wall.
the 10 gauge will be threaded however. Im not pleased its welded but it is what it is.
the flare gun pistol frame is being tossed around.
the beauty of the 10 ga is it can be loaded to plinking, to as far as your wrist can take.

the lockwork sucks, but gets the job done for now. il wait and see how big of a tax return i get:D

Last edited:
LOL Man thats even MORE cool! I'd probably stick to BP in it too.. Still.. Just knowing that ya COULD use it either way rocks! :D

haha thanks. i know you arent supposed to weld but ive taken every precaution i can. if youve ever heard of leinad, they make these crude little derringers, (just google it) but they make a flare gun on the same frame, now with the 10 ga, that will be one heck of a coat pistol.
and they arent in stock for now
of course they will sell parts kits to the derringers but they wont sell just the flare gun reciever.
Idiots

didnt you know?? they made those before nails came out
as i said before i intend to get those fixed,
got the ramrod locking spring in, so il post pictures here in the next few days

Last edited:
Don't even think of using smokeless in a flintlock, I don't care how strong the barrel allegedly is. Smokeless must be ignited by a powerful primer, you don't want to simply set the stuff on fire with a spark through a touchhole.
The primer does more than set the charge on fire, it also creates the initial chamber pressure needed for efficient smokeless powder burning. If that pressure is not achieved, you get a "blooper". Sort of like setting dynamite on fire with a match instead of detonating it with a blasting cap, it just burns instead of exploding. If you compensate for the blooper by putting in extra charge so it will burn up to working pressure, the difference between a blooper and a barrel bursting overcharge can be razor thin.
I repeat, smokeless must be ignited by a powerful sealed primer, like in a cartridge, it's not about the weakness/strength of the gun, it's about the ignition method.

I don't intend to, I had my suspicions it would be a bad idea
Of course, now I have to get the stupid frizzen hardened.
Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Back