12 gauge 2 3/4" vs 3" shells

I have a chance to pick up a used 12 guage in a trade. My concern is that it is chambered only for 2 3/4" shells. I hunt deer, squirrel, rabbit and turkey. Is being limited to only 2 3/4" shells going to decrease my hunting effectiveness greatly in comparison to what 3" ammunition can do?

Not for deer, but perhaps for turkey. Two of the most successful whitetail hunters I know use 20 gauge 2 3/4 inch shotguns.
JT

Realize that

2 3/4 was all that there was for many years, and plenty of game was taken during all those years. My preferred hunting shotgun, in 35 yearsof shooting, has always been a mossberg 20 guage for both birds and deer.

Personally, I think turkey will give you a little trouble with 2 3/4" at greater distances. I try not to reach out past 40 yds or so with 3" out of my 12 ga. I once saw my dad shoot one at closer to 50 yds. & the turkey started doin' the death flop....we jump up and start running toward it & with 2 quick flaps of his wings he was airborn & set in a dead glide that took him about 200 yds down the hill. took us a LONG time to find that old boy. So, since then I always use 3" & try to get 'em in to 40 or closer. 2 3/4" will do the trick but you better be a good caller & be REAL still to get 'em in to close range. Just MHO. oh & Good Luck :)

Back