12 ga. reloading

Dr. Rod

Inactive
I've tried just about everything that I can think of to improve the accuracy of my slugs from a rifled barrel and I still get crappy results. Does anybody know of a place for me to get info on getting some precision out of my slug gun? I remember hearing about a group of guys who competed in 100 yd. bench rest shoots with hand loaded slugs but I haven't been able to find out anything more.

Doc, the most common reason I've found for inaccuracy in shotguns using slugs is slop in the barrel/receiver fit. Every year I get asked to "take a look" at someone's shotgun and some of them rattle when shaken.

Assuming you have a repeater, try this.....
MAKE SURE IT'S EMPTY and...
Grasp the weapon at the grip like you were going to shoot and grab the bbl forward of the forearm. If the bbl can be moved while the receiver is immobilized, you need to tighten this up.

I use a padded set of channelocks on the mag tube nut to take it one,repeat,ONE click past hand tight. This is for 870s.

Mossbergs can get a shim of aluminum foil, business card, or matchbook cover to take the slop out,if there's not any turns left to tighten.

If'n you're not using a pump or auto, there's other problems, but I'd wager a flagon of mead we just diagnosed the problem correctly rat cheer.

Dr. Rod,

I'm surprised you are having poor accuracy with a rifled barrel. How crappy is it? Maybe Dave is right your barrel needs to be slightly tighter then hand tight.

What slugs are you shooting? I know that shooting rifled slugs in a rifled slug barrel gives you terrible accuracy (can't put three slugs on a pie plate). I know that sabots in a rifled slug barrel give best accuracy (clover leaf at 100 yards).

Shok

Shok, each shotgun is a law unto itself when slugs are introduced. As a very loose rule, smoothbores shoot best with Forster slugs and Brennekes, rifled bbls with sabots, but there's exceptions all over. Nothing will take the place of benchtesting.

The two 870s here that are zeroed with slugs are smoothbore and with a rifled tube, respectively. The Smoothbore gets the same size 50 yard groups as the tubed weapon, just with different slugs. Neither "likes" sabots.

Now's the time to get everything zeroed in also. If there's a glitch, or your slug gun needs the ministrations of a smith, you've time(and so does the smith) to get it fixed.
Maybe I'll post a little something on setting up slug guns....

Thanks for responding guys. The gun is good with factory loads. I'm just trying to get my handloads a bit more consistant. So far I am all over the paper. Does anybody have a source of info about slug reloading? I know I'm not saving much but it's fun to experiment.

Never reloaded any shotshells,Doc. I used to reload metallics, tho, and I know that everything has to be consistent to get consistent results.

Do you roll crimp? If so, make sure all hulls are the same length.

Dr.Rod,

You may want to take a look at lyman's 4th Edition, Shotshell Reloading Handbook. It has quite a lot of data on loading slugs. Their data includes both rolled and fold crimp, and include just about all of the major hull brands.

Hope this helps.

Mel <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Rod:
Thanks for responding guys. The gun is good with factory loads. I'm just trying to get my handloads a bit more consistant. So far I am all over the paper. Does anybody have a source of info about slug reloading? I know I'm not saving much but it's fun to experiment.[/quote]

------------------

Back