12 ga. or 20 ga. for HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1911Ford

I have a Remington 11-87 SPS 12 ga. and a Remington 870 20 ga. I want to make one of these into a "Tactical" shotgun. I hunt more with the 11-87 and would rather do the modifications on the 870. The only thing is, is that I am unsure of how the 20 ga. would be for HD. Is there that much of a difference between the 12 and 20 when using it for HD. The only real advantage that I can think of for the 20 ga. is that it would be easier for my wife to use if she ever would, or had to. But she also has a .357.

Either will work, but if there's a chance the wife might need it, that 20 ga would be the better choice, probably.

Also, to correct a popular mis-impression, a stock, out of the box 870 is a good HD weapon as is.The first accessory one should buy is ammo, not fender skirts and fuzzy dice...

Gunsmith friend of mine took a Youth Model 870, added a two round mag extension, did a little trigger work and now his wife has one great tool for HD when her hubby isn't around.The weight of the extension turns the kick mule into a pony...

Remember, whatever you get, practice is the key....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back