12 ga 3 1/2" shot sizes?

Locoweed

I picked up a Benelli Nova with a slug barrel (18 1/2" and iron sights) for use as a tactical shotgun today. It's the first shotgun I've owned that will handle the 3 1/2" shot shells and it got me thinking about what shot sizes might be available in this length. Are there any slug or buckshot loads available?

search

Just a bit of online searching will answer your question, but I will tell you this,....you do not need for SD/HD, nor will you want to shoot much, 3.5 ammo.
Especially through a Nova. (light). They make some type of recoil reducer for that gun ( I think) but not all have it.

We've got a Moss 835, backbored, ported, and it will never see 3.5" ammo.

Agree -I have the Beretta A400 Xplor Unico and it will never see 3", let alone 3.5" ammo - all it sees is target ammo

You can buy turkey loads, waterfowl loads, as well as slugs and buckshot in 3.5" shells. If they make any loads smaller than #6 shot I've not seen any, but they are probably out there.

The Nova's are good guns. The fact that it shoots 3.5" shells does not mean you need to use them. Recoil is unbelieveable with the heavy turkey loads. Literally in the same class as most elephant rifles and wicked from such a light gun. The steel shot waterfowl loads are stout, but bearable. I've never used any of the slugs of buckshot in that length.

2 3/4" shells will meet almost all of your needs and 3" is as big as most people need. The only real purpose of the 3 1/2" shells is for guys who shoot geese, and do it a lot.

Often debated on the forum....but if it's for Tactical Defense...then you probably won't go any smaller than " OO " buck anyway.../ and you'll find lots of options out there.

but I echo the sentiment - that just because the gun is chambered in
3 1/2"...doesn't mean you have to shoot a shell over 2 3/4".../ and it will be way less abusive on you. shooting a high velocity shell, in heavy payloads like 1 1/2 oz...in 3 1/2" shells...is not that much fun, in a fixed breech gun like a pump...!!!

Target reacquisition is delayed with more recoil...

2 3/4 is all you need, as already stated... And you may get an extra round in the gun...

Brent

How light is it? Looking at the Benelli site, I cannot find the Nova's weight with an 18.5 inch barrel. The others are from 7.8 to 8 pounds.

Back