12" 460 SW Encore SBR

How stupid would firing 460 out of a 12" SBR carbine be? The muzzle would be significantly closer to my ears than when used as a pistol. Open sight, so not terribly worried about scope eye.
454?
460 SW capable supppressor? Help with noise and recoil. I left a little forward of the front sight dovetail so I could thread it later. Probably block the open sights though.
Got to get this rolling in order to have it ready for deer season.

Last edited:
I don't think you'd enjoy it at all. I had a 17" ported barrel in .280 GNR. I could use either as a pistol or a rifle on my Encore. Either way the blast from the brake would take my muffs off if I was wearing a hat when I shot it. Shooting it as a carbine made me develop a flinch just from the concussion wave of the muzzle brake, a suppressor would be the only way to go on such a short barrel. However, getting a suppressor in time for next deer season might be a challenge to say the least.

I really like the BHA rifle, but at $3k, it isn't likely to be a purchase. I have to at least wait until they have a little longer track record. I figure a 460 carbine fills the "one gun" slot about as well as anything so selling off a big chunk of my firearms to buy it might make sense once they have a track record.

ports...

johnwilliamson062 said:

Ports on my old .280 GNR!

Encore111.jpg

Encore15.jpg

Cartridge is a 7mm based off of the .405 Win case.

DSC_0028.jpg

Shooting it as a pistol was uncomfortable, shooting it as a carbine unbearable. If you have a muzzle break of any kind keep it as far away from your face as possible. I understand a .460 is a lower pressure round than mine, but it still won't be fun with a break in your face.

heck, I'm there already. This pic is old as well, since this pic I've added a modded 30 cal long gun muzzle brake to tame some of the vicious kick !

Has anyone fooled around with a really long LOP stock? Using more of a pistol hold with a little extra support? I believe some of the revolver carbines have such a set-up.

Crap, I just have to cough up the money for a 45-70 rifle and forget the 460 altogether.

After a lot of thought I've opted to purchase a 45-70 Katahdin ProHunter barrel from TC. Trying to force the 460 SW to work was just a money it. Since the idea of this build/firearm is to get the best deer gun allowable in Ohio laws, the 45-70 barrel makes more sense with the recent carbine changes.

Thanks for the input. Helped me make this decision.

Back