1100 Tactical?

Model12Win

Just bought a new in box Remington 1100 Tactical. 22" barrel, 9 shot capacity.

How are they? Do they jamb up all the time? I see they have an O-ring.

Thoughts?

You getting ready to defend the Alamo. ;)
Well I found a Mossberg ATP for a solid price on the auction site. Then I got to reading on semi-auto shotguns and shot my dad's Mossberg 930 so that really got me wanting one. I have been eyeing the 1100 Tactical for a long time. Found a NIB on the auction sites for a great price and snagged it. :)

Hopefully it doesn't jamb up all the time. It is a very recent production gun I'm sure and there are lots of reports of decreased QC at Remington in recent times. I hope mine doesn't have QC problems.

Get the upgraded o-rings (more silver than black) and keep it cleaned and it will run fine for thousands of rounds.

When I ran 1100 Tacticals, I changed the O-rings and mag tube springs every 1K or so. Changed the action spring at about 5K.

I have an action spring and a few silver o-rings plus about a dozen Rem factory o-rings. If you want them PM me your address and I will mail them to you.

Viton O rings are the best. If you want them to look silvery put some lock lubricating graphite in a baggie with them and shake.
If it jams, Something is wrong. An 1100 may not be as flexible as some newer designs, and it won't go as long between cleanings, but properly maintained they are dead reliable. My oldest had the extractor replaced in 1982. No other parts at all, including the O ring from 1967, and over 115,000 trouble fee rounds.
The rumors of Remington's QC decline as relates to 1100s are just that.

I recently changed the O-ring in my wife's 1100 that was built in the mid 1970's and survived a flood. It was the first time it had been changed to my knowledge, and I only did it because I found a good deal on O-rings. I don't think you'll have any reliability problems.

More O-rings are damaged by removing and putting it back on than anything else. Vitons are the best.

Just bought a new in box Remington 1100 Tactical. 22" barrel, 9 shot capacity.

How are they? Do they jamb up all the time? I see they have an O-ring.

Seems silly to ask AFTER buying the gun.

Virginian, the Viton O-rings I buy have a silver tint to them. Vtion did not work out so well for the Challenger, and the lesson there has application to the 1100s. Used in below freezing temperatures, the Viton rings don't do well. But especially in the applications running the tube with lube, yes, they last a lot longer.

For you Dillon, a little softening of the threads on the mag tube helps mitigate the small cuts in the O-rings, as well as rolling them off as opposed to just pulling them over the threads. You should get the package I sent you any day now.

Virginian, the Viton O-rings I buy have a silver tint to them. Vtion did not work out so well for the Challenger, and the lesson there has application to the 1100s. Used in below freezing temperatures, the Viton rings don't do well. But especially in the applications running the tube with lube, yes, they last a lot longer.

For you Dillon, a little softening of the threads on the mag tube helps mitigate the small cuts in the O-rings, as well as rolling them off as opposed to just pulling them over the threads. You should get the package I sent you any day now.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it and am on the lookout for it.

Guys I got the shotgun in:

20170619_135612-1.jpg

To say I am happy is an understatement! Picked it up this morning, took it home and thoroughly cleaned it. Getting that little wishbone shaped spring back in got me confused but I figured it out. Just got back from the creek and the gun shot 25 rounds of Remington 9 pellet 00 2 3/4" buck perfectly!! :D

I am thrilled. Recoil was very manageable and the gun just made a ripe mess of the creek bank I was firing at!! The fiber optic sight (included in the box) picked up the sunlight and was really cool. So happy right now, going to pick up a few cases of buck and get the gun well broken in. So far I think this is a great shotgun and it fits me very nicely, love the length of pull, just like on my 870P.

Thanks so much all for the support, I plan on making a full range report thread soon. :)

Take care all,

M12

Just ran 25 rounds of Remington Nitro Sporting no. 8 shot, 25 rounds of El cheapo Estate no. 8 loads, 10 Winchester 1 oz slugs, a dozen or so Winchester no. 1 buckshot, and 10 more rounds of Remington 00 buck.

0 failures!

This gun apparantly will shoot cheap birdshot (this was the cheapest I could find) and boy is it a smooth shooter!!

Think I'm in love gang, this 1100 Tactical is awesome!! :D

I have run the same Viton O ring from minus 11 degrees F to 101 degrees F with no issues. The Challenger O ring failed because the joint flexed and the O ring went beyond it's design limit at that temperature. An 1100 barrel to magazine clearance better not change.

MarkCO, just got the o rings and spring in the mail. THANK YOU. much appreciated! Let me know if you need any Mosin Nagant parts, I have quite a few!!

Guys shot several different kinds of buckshot today at a cardboard box:

20170620_175704-1.jpg

Plus some Winchester birdshot. So far 0 failures of any kind. This gun does not seem to jamb up all the time at all. :D

I have an 1100 Competition Master, which is very similar. Picked it up early in 2004. I use the Viton rings, and replace it every cleaning. They were so cheap, why not? I shot it in 3-gun several years. I learned to bring a spare trigger group, and the spare saved a match once.

It cycles Fiocchi aero low recoil slugs, which are 1oz @ 1150 fps, but had trouble cycling Remington Managed Recoil slugs, 1oz @ 1200. I guess different gas characteristics.

Oh, do not EVER run your finger inside where the bolt slides. Those sharp edges will draw blood and you will be cleaning a mess from inside the receiver before you know it.

Have fun.

I have an 1100 Competition Master, which is very similar. Picked it up early in 2004. I use the Viton rings, and replace it every cleaning. They were so cheap, why not? I shot it in 3-gun several years. I learned to bring a spare trigger group, and the spare saved a match once.

It cycles Fiocchi aero low recoil slugs, which are 1oz @ 1150 fps, but had trouble cycling Remington Managed Recoil slugs, 1oz @ 1200. I guess different gas characteristics.

Oh, do not EVER run your finger inside where the bolt slides. Those sharp edges will draw blood and you will be cleaning a mess from inside the receiver before you know it.

Have fun.
Yeah the low recoil Winchester Ranger 00 buck wasn't ejecting very forcefully, but 20 rounds or so fed fine. Interestingly the Winchester super handicap #8 hulls were thrown farther out.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice addition, congrats. I picked up a 1187 20ga youth and am setting it up as a tac ta cool setup but havent shot it yet. My wife will like the reduced recoil loads better than the pump 12ga I'm sure, just need to take it out and put it through its paces to make sure its reliable like its 1100 brother. I'm part of the club where my old 1100 will eat just about anything, does now care what load as long as its 2 3/4 lol.

A co-worker of mine bought the same tac model you have a few years ago and loves his, he has no complaints.

It's been great so far. I more or less bought it on a whim but am so glad I did. Got it all cleaned up and ready to hit the field again!

33 more rounds of Remington 00 gang.

0 failures.

The range... is a ripe mess. Let's just say there are many holes... everywhere.

Back