1100 strip repair and refinish

rem1100

Inactive
Hi all-

I picked up an 1100 for a decent price at the last gunshow. Serial number decode from Remington reveals it was built in 1982. Teardown shows everything is in good shape, and I put in a magazine spring, follower and piston set because those parts looked like they could use it.

As I was inspecting it the other day, I realized I missed 3-4 inch fine crack in the left side forend near the receiver. On larry potterfields advice, I worked some gorilla glue into the crack from the inside and clamped it. My guess is it won't be moving anymore.

I see the outside of the crack now disturbed some of the terrible, remington plastic/urithane finish or whatever it is. I'm thinking the whole thing would look nicer if I just redid it.

Couple of questions: how do I get that stuff off? Also, do I have to protect the factory fiberglass reinforcement form the stripper? Also, what's the best way to apply the tung oil. Should it be sanded in or just rubbed?

What is said to cause the crack, is the forearm being loose, and firing then gun that way. Always make sure the wood is tight by tightening the magazine tube nut on the end.

Remington used polyurethane, sprayed on, so it is best to remove that with a chemical stripper. To get it to match, you would have to apply the same thing. Remington buffed the finish, after it had cured.

Back