#11 nipples

Johnywinslow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed all the cap and ball revolver except for ruger use #10 caps , can u buy # 11 cap niple replacements? Seems a lodgical step in upgrading any cap and ball pistol ! IM new to cap and ball shooting so if this is a dumb question i apologyze lolol

I've not found difference in ignition between no10 and no11. I've left no10 in all my weapons where I have bought them as such.

I only use CCI Magnum caps.

Nipple changes

Not a bad question, so no apology needed.

Nipple choices are pretty much limited by what the cylinder is tapped to receive in the way of threads. I keep and use both #10 and #11 caps. Which one works best depends on the gun - the one that fits best works best in that gun. I have seen no advantage for one over the other, so I don't understand the comment about going to #11's as an "upgrade"; I don't think you have a choice.

I assumed #11s being bigger would provide a hotter burn to ignite the powder is all , im probly wrong though, probly why jackazz cell phone makers wont make just one charger connection.....:mad:

I replace my nipples with Thunder Ridge brand nipples. To me they fit #11's perfectly. I find on the Italian guns the nipple sizes are a tiny bit off and the caps are usually just a touch too loose where you have to pinch the cap a bit for a snug fit. The Uberti's seem to like the #10's which still needed to be pinched for a snug fit and my Pietta liked #11's but also needed a little pinch. With the Thunder Ridge replacements CCI #11 caps fit perfectly and snugly and don't ever fall off (which is why chain fires happen in my opinion). Just my experience.

Oh, I use Goex black powder in my c&b revolvers and really have never noticed an ignition difference between #10 or #11 caps but then real BP is the easiest to ignite of all. The only difference to me is just the size and how they fit.

I just ordered a new Uberti 1851 Navy and the very next thing I did was go to thunder ridge and order a set of new nipples.

Back