11-87 Remington, what to know about it?

jrothWA

SN starts with: "M25" , anyidea what year it be?

Has a slug barrel and Cantlivered scope, and field barrel with chokes.

Friend is asking about buying one.

You can call Remington to get an accurate date of manufacture. Remington puts a date code on barrels. If you know which barrel came with the gun you can get close. It isn't unusual for barrels to be made up and be assembled to make a finished gun at a later date so it won't be as accurate.

Chart here. Be aware that the year codes are used multiple times, but 25-30 years apart. The same code could be used for a gun made in 1960, 1988, and also 2014. But it shouldn't be hard to figure it out.

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/remdates.htm

They are pretty decent guns. The slug barrel is designed for only 2 3/4" or 3" magnum shells. It probably won't function with lighter loads. At least not consistently.

Wear:
My 1987 M1187 is on its 3rd set of piston rings.
Also, have had to replace that plastic magazine spring cap twice.

i own two 11/87,s, a field and a trap grade. the trap has thousands-thousands of rounds thru it with no problems, i clean it ever 600 rounds of 17 grs red dot with 1-1/8 oz # 8.5 shot. the field grade has not caused any problem, tho not shot as much.

Suitable for trap, skeet, Sporting clays, upland hunting.

Get a good 26" vent rib barrel.

O-rings, buy a package of them. I changed the O-ring and mag spring on my 11-87s every 5K or so. The mag spring pressure is needed to release the lock.

The 11-87 is 99.5% Model 1100. I have an 1100 with over 115,000 rounds thru it. Mostly 1-1/8 ounce target to be sure, but also thousands of heavy magnum duck loads. Replaced one broken extractor in 1982. The 11-87 has a beefier extractor than the 1100. All you need to do is shoot it with whatever barrel you prefer. I like a 28" Light Contour barrel myself.

Back