Votes: 8 47.1%
  • 14.5"

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Stay with the 16" anything else is a waste of time

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boondoggie

Ok, I've applied for my Tax Stamp and I am currently in the middle of my SBR AR project. The question is which barrel length to install? I stated on the application form that it is an 11.5” barrel, but I have been informed (still to be confirmed) that anything longer then 11.5” is acceptable, as long as you don’t go below the registered length.

So, I am now considering a 14.5”. Why? Obviously there are advantages to both.

If you have had experience with one or the other and or would have done something different, please share your views.

Yes, it does depend on what I am going to do with the gun. In general, it would just be for a bit of fun. I would still like it to be semi accurate out to 200 yards, I am not looking for a tack driver, nor a ‘shotgun’ either.

Any help greatly appreciated.

The 14.5" allows you to affix a bayonet :rolleyes: ...

Regards,

Walt
PS 14.5" is also M4-length, if having a military-type weapon is of interest.

The 14.5" was a better choice for me because the the 14.5" is a better compromise than the 16" for CQB in terms of balance and maneuverability. The difference in muzzle velocity lost is negligible.

Guys,

Thanks for all the input.

David Hineline wrote:

The 11.5 with silencer is not so long.

It did cross my mind :D was concerned about accuracy to 200 yards with this setup.

Creature wrote:

The 14.5" was a better choice for me because the the 14.5" is a better compromise than the 16" for CQB in terms of balance and maneuverability. The difference in muzzle velocity lost is negligible.

The other side of my dilemma.

14.5 doesn't offer that much of an advantage over the 16 inch barrel, unless you want a dimensionally accurate M4gery.

The 11.5 provides a distinct advantage in handling, especially with a Noveske muzzle device.

Personally I'd go with the 11.5 with a Gemtech M4-02 "muzzle device." :DI only have a RRA 16;" however, I really like the way my M4-02 quiets down my PLR-16. I think an 11.5 inch SBR will be the next project after I get my 870 SBS paperwork back. It has only been 2 weeks but seems like forever.:rolleyes:

but I have been informed (still to be confirmed) that anything longer then 11.5” is acceptable, as long as you don’t go below the registered length.

I don't know how I missed that the first time around, but you can go shorter or longer, either way without problems.

Back