10mms - Glock 29 vs. EAA Witness Compact

DougB

I have less than two weeks to buy my last unapproved handgun before California's SB15 kicks in. I don't think there are any 10mm pistols on the approved list. I'm thinking of getting a G29 (compact Glock 10mm) or an EAA Witness. The Glock is lighter, more compact, very durable, costs more, and is (to me) very blocky and ugly. I like the design of the Witness (traditional DA), but they are tough to find and heavier. I want this to carry backpacking, fishing, etc, so light weight is important. I also read a comment that the G29 will eventually be approved in CA, but I'm skeptical of this (I don't think its a big seller).

Thoughts on which I should get, and possible sources (especially of the Witness - I can't seem to find one)? Thanks.

Doug

Ha my very question as well. I'm waffeling between the compact glock and the compact witness myself, just because I like compacts and I want a 10mm. I've handled them both but shot neither. They are about the same width and general dimentions in the grip area but the Witness is noticably slimmer in the slide area. I also found the witness compact has a really sharp rear point on the magazine baseplate (which sticks far out of the grip) and it sticks me in the hand, therefore If I chose a witness I'd probably get the full size. I have a cz-75 the gun the wintess is a copy of and its very nice indeed.

I like the glocks too (not looks though), at least I shot the g19 I had before well. I can't make up my own mind but I'd suggest the glock if you don't care about looks and want it as small as possible. I'd say the Witness if you want to admire your pretty gun (such nice lines on the cz75 design) and softer recoil as the full size witness is all steel and heavier. Get a good holster and you won't really notice the weight.

check out EAA corp's web site they have a list of dealers by state.

Oh if you want night sights on the gun get a glock as you can't get 'em for a witness of any caliber.

shiro

You can get nighteyes for a Witness; you just need to spend more.

Sold my Glock (M20), but I own three Witness frames in six calibers (no ten yet).
All full-size.

Go with the Witness. My experience nearly mirrors WESHOOT2's. I had a full size G20 that I sold because the grip was unwieldy and the gun was unreliable (yes, Glocks jam). I love my compact 10mm Witness in Wonderfinish and carry it in Condition One daily. Plus, as I've said in other posts on this site, you can buy factory conversion assemblies (for about $225 each, according to the EAA web site) to change your 10mm into a 38Super, 45ACP, or other popular caliber.

The 10mm / 38 Super / 45ACP is on the same frame; the shorter cartridges are on the 'small' frame (9x19, 9x21, 40 S&W, 41AE).

I spent a ton on my M20; grip reduction, trigger crap, sights, barrels, and other general crap.
Still plastic.

Not...

...having some freaky metal frame fetish myself, I gotta vote for the Glock. Despite being heavy enough to suggest a chunk of dwarf-star matter is concealed somewhere inside, the Witness recoils more and exhibits more muzzle-flip than the G29. The Witness has a higher bore axis, which contributes to this. The Glock is easier to carry concealed. Given equal barrel lengths, you'll get better muzzle velocities with polygonal rifling (and isn't that what 10mm's all about?). The Glock is more rugged, should you ever need an improvised wheelchock. ;) As nice a pistol as the Witness is, it's not as reliable (in my personal experience, at least) as the Glock.

If all this is important to you, go with the G29.
If, on the other hand, you'd rather be able to say "At least my gun doesn't have a plastic frame," buy the Witness.

Geez, what's our next comparison going to be?
Star M-43 Firestar or HK P7M8?
Rossi M-971 vs. Colt Python?

Hi Doug,

Between the two guns you have mentioned I personally would have to go with the G29. If you plan on buying several compact 10mm's it doesn't matter as you will wind up with both. However, if only to have one compact 10mm, IMHO, you would be much better served in the long run with the Glock.

I've owned a G20 for a long time. In the thousands of rounds that I have put through that gun malfunctions have been so few and far between I can not honestly remember the last time it happened. Gun condition, ammo selection and GRIP on the gun all have a lot to do with reliable feeding. My Delta Elite competition gun is just excellent as well. I can say the same for the Springfield Armory Omega pistol as well.

I see so often people recommending against the G20, G21, G29 and G30 because the grip was Too Big for them. Well it fits me just fine, in fact it could even be a bit bigger and I would have no problem. In fact the Desert Eagles fit my hand about the best. So does that make any one of us right or wrong when it comes to weather a gun will fit your hand or not?? I think not!!!!!! Only you can answer that Q!
IMHO, I think that one person recommending to another person not to get a gun because, it didn't fit them exactly, is silly!! It is like me telling you that you should only buy size 12 shoes because that is what I have found fit me best. We are all different sizes and the subject of size should be left to the person making the decision.

It is the 21st century now and not buying a gun because it has a polymer frame is as ludicrous as not buying any new car because they no longer have chrome bumpers. I am not saying there is anything wrong with a steel, alloy or polymer frame. Just saying that technology has come a looooong way allowing for such materials to be just as strong and in some cases stronger than the old conventional metal frames.

On a side note; I hear that Para-Ordinance is adding the 10mm to their line-up this year. That will add some more possibilities to What 10mm To Buy!!

Doug, the choice is yours and should be your decision. One you feel happy with. However, IMHO, for a compact 10mm, the G29 is the winner hands down for a defensive gun at the moment.

Good Luck and Happy Decisions!

------------------
Keep It In The 10 Ring,
Michael
smokin.gif

elk1.gif
rocketq3.gif

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."

Unfortunately the Witness line has had metallurgy problems from time to time and the 10mm will stress that metal more than any other commonly available cartridge.
I too like the Witness line, but I would go for the Glock in 10mm. Now if you were gettting a 45 or less, I would jump on the Witness in a heartbeat. They make some neat guns. :D

Best wishes,
Mikey

Haven't heard about these problems. Are they any more widespread than the Glock explosions I read about all the time on Glock Talk? :D

Unfortunately the Witness line has had metallurgy problems from time to time and the 10mm will stress that metal more than any other commonly available cartridge.

Best wishes,
Mikey

Glock 29 vs Witness

Can't say about the Witness, never shot one, however, I love my G29 10mm, been shooting it for 2&1/2 years, no problems. Accuracy is better than my capability (which isn't all that bad), jams are virtually non-existant. Ask whoever says the Glock is ugly if they look like Tom Cruise. We are supposed to be dealing in guns here, not girlfriends. Happy New Year!

Frames crack, Glocks go kaboom and the Easter Bunny is a myth. :D
Actually Glock 10mm's have very few Kb's, better chamber support than other Glocks, and since very few Witness 10mm's have been sold comparatively, I would go with the proven platform. Glock 40's blow like firecrackers. :D

I put limited faith in Italian metallurgy, they have proven to have major quality control problems over the years.

Now that said, I tried to order a Witness carry-comp in 10mm prior to buying my Glcok 20, but was told that the carry-comp in 10mm is no longer available. Otherwise I would have a Witness carry-comp 10mm right now instead of the Glock 20.

I meant no disrespect to the Witness owners. So put the rope away, no need for a hangin'....

Mikey

Comparing a Witness to a Glock is like comparing a Chrysler to a Porche! Never had a Glock, in any caliber, malfunction. My 29 is low recoiling, holds sixteen rounds if I want it to, has a monstrously stout slide, and recoils like a 9mm!
I don't care if my Chrysler has to be in the shop from time to time, the damn thing looks good!

Back