10mm VS .40 S.W.

z28pwr

Let me start by saying I'm a newbie to guns.

Well that said I acquired a 96 model Beretta a couple months ago and have squeezed of over 350 rounds through it and I love it. Now im considering buying a Glock but don't know if I should get another .40 cal. or get a 10MM, it seems to be the .40 rounds are cheaper and more available then the 10MM but I'd like to know how big of a diference is their between these 2 cals.

I'd use the gun for target shooting and for the woods.

Thanks.

The 10mm is a "fully blown" .40, if you catch my drift. As stated by many, including myself in an earlier thread about rounds you'd least like to be shot with, the 10mm won...hands down. It's a wicked round. As you already know, 10mm rounds are harder to come by, and more expensive as well. Let's just say I am more comfortable with the .40!!

Semper Fi-
JJC

Hi z28pwr,

I look at things a bit differently than JJCook. I see the 40S&W as a castrated 10mm. Which is what it is in all actuality, since the 10mm came first and the 40S&W came to be due to the FBI's FTU adopting the downloaded 10mm round as their issue caliber back in 1989. Federal loaded this original downloaded ammunition and through intervention of S&W the 40S&W round was developed. The 40S&W is a better format to present the (castrated) lower velocity 10mm/.40 bullet since less room for powder was/is required. The shorter version allows use in the smaller framed guns. This allows smaller handed people to have a formidable caliber in a gun easier for them to handle. A smaller package can be concealed easier. Plus it made it far easier for agent training to be done, as there is less recoil with most .40S&W's than with the full power 10mm's.

My choice is and has been since the mid 80's, the full power 10mm round!!! The 10mm is a very versatile cartridge in the hands of the reloader. It can be loaded down to a very light recoiling target round or up to a nice hinting round for smaller game like Javalina! Additionally it is a very formidable defensive round with several different ammo selections currently available.

As for in the woods with the 10mm, I feel very comfortable with the 190gr or 200gr offerings loaded to 1200+fps. Very effective against most 4 legged aggressors as penetration with these heavy FPJ's is good.

As for a SD round, I feel very comfortable with Cor-Bon's (older) 10mm 135gr @ 1450fps round. Some others seem to favor the Winchester 175gr ST round. Either way, with the 10mm I wouldn't feel under armed.

------------------
Keep It In The 10 Ring,
Michael
smokin.gif

elk1.gif
rocketq3.gif

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."

Back