10mm Soundoff!

I`m new to the 10mm but I like it so far. Check out my thread "Convince me to get a 10mm" for more responses. I was convinced in the end and bought an EAA Witness full size 10mm. Ammo is a little more scarce than say .45ACP but it`s out there. Powerwise loads range from mild to wild. Full tilt 10mm with around 650fpe is probably about all the power I`d wanna have in a service sized auto. Marcus

If you like the idea of a ".40 S&W Magnum", that is what 10mm gives you. I have a Glock 20C and a Colt Delta Elite and they are both great. Cor-Bon, Federal, Georiga Arms, Hornady, Pro Load, Triton and Winchester all load hot 10mm hunting and self-defense ammo that will give you 570-670 ft-lbs from a 5" barrel. Medium-powered 10mm is as powerful as the most powerful .45 ACP +P, and it goes up from there.

Don't get it unless you are going to buy or load the "old", higher powered versions - otherwise get the .40

FTR - the 10mm is NOT a 40 SW Magnum. The 40SW was created but cutting the 10mm case nearly in half to reduce the recoil.

Apparently some wussy FBI agents whined about recoil and the firearms instructors didn't want to lose their jobs so they collaborated with SW to created the 40SW so less than firearms ready agents could qualify.

A side effect of the modification was that they took the flat shooting nature of the 10mm and made it less accurate with the shorter case.

And since it's volume of case walls was reduced and people are trying to shoot 180-200 grainers in there, they dramatically increased the case failure rate and the kaboom rate.

The 10mm is the parent of the 40 short and whimpy NOT vice versa.

Anyway, I just bought a Glock 20 and love the darn thing. It's the world's most popular 10mm semi-auto. Built around the 10mm
round. Not a 45 ACP beefed up to 10mm standards.

Accurate, reliable, and plenty of hi caps around.

And the polymer frame does absorb that recoil quite well. All steel guns are nice but when you're shooting some hot
10mm rounds, you'll shoot more with a Glock 20 or a Glock 29. The witnesses are getting some good reviews and lot of folks love the Star MegaStars in 10mm.

BUT the Glocks have tons of accessories for it them. A 40SW conversion barrel that is a straight drop in for $90. Shoot .357 SIG for the same
price. holsters abound. Beef up the recoil springs for nuclear rounds. Get a 6" hunting barrel to go pig and deer
hunting.

No better 10mm semi auto with this versatility. You can load 135 grainers all the way up to 220 grainer but you get another 100-200 fpe and a good 100-200 fpe to. No other Glock produces 41 mag power out of a stock configuration.

And if you hunt, it's the only Glock for you. It's not 357 mag or 44 mag, big in the ballpark. Deer and hogs can be taken.

And next to 9mm, 10mm cases are the most over-engineered cases to shoot from. Very safe with very very thick case ways. Resizing those 10mm cases takes a tad more effort but that is your protection.

Don't get me wrong, I may get a 40SW conversion barrel for my G20 for almost a 100 percent supported chamber. And I will shoot 40SW through it. But I'd buy the 10mm gun and buy a 40SW barrel for it. The advantage would be cheaper and more plentiful brass and less recoil for competing. Maybe a 135 or 155 grain bullet.

But you don't have to shoot snot-stomping Norma rounds to buy a 10mm. It's more accurate than any of the 1911 and Glock 45s I've shot or owned. At 50-75 yards, a 165 bullet drops very little.

BUT you should reload, to cost effectively train in 10mm. You can buy some 10mm plinking ammo from Georgia Arms and I've heard nothing but raves about them. A case costs about $180 and you may have to pay another $20 for shipping. So you can shoot it for the same cost as 45 ACP. you just have to buy from GAs.

I can reload a case of 10mm with qaulity bullets and powder for about $110. Same cost as reloading a case of 45 ACP with FMJ bullets.

Anyway, I like the 10mm round so much, I'm looking into a G29 right now! You can shoot rounds that recoil like a 9mm +P all of the way up to the Norma 200 grain rounds that caused the FBI to wimp out.

No better smack for your money!

What the heck does "FTR" mean?

Since more people are familiar with .40S&W, it is convenient shorthand to explain 10mm as ".40S&W magnum" to newbies. More convenient than taking a few paragraphs to explain the FBI's inability to cope with magnum-power firearms, anyway. :D

C.B.

How about versatility!

The only thing the 40SW has in common with the 10mm is the caliber of bullets they both shoot.

I'm currently downloading my Glock20's loads to a power factor of 170 for "major" in practical shooting. That's 180gr of JHP moving at 950fps, or 40SW velocities.

The power factor in USPSA was dropped from 180 to 165 because too many 40SW shooters were having case ruptures trying to make major.

Heck, even the meanest 40SW load, 135gr@1300fps only makes 175.5 power factor!

VERSATILITY is synonomous with 10MM. You can down load to competition power, or go bear hunting with a 200gr JSP @ 1200fps. Which is by the way 240 powerfactor!

I do think the 40 has it's place with concealed carry guns like the G27.

why couldnt the fbi just have used a bigger bullet in the 10mm and jam it into the casing farther? would that have solved the hard hitting 10mm question? i am no reloader or cartridge expert but couldnt the same thing as a 40auto have been gotten pretty easily from the 10mm? if so then why mess it up? allow those that can qulaify with the full house loads do so, if you cant handle those then you get the other versions, doesnt seem too hard
i wish this cartridge would have been given more of a chance cause it sure sounds like one of the best ones around

Very versatile...

...and don't get too put off by that "back in the old days, we had real 10mm ammo!" nonsense. There're plenty of hot commercial loadings out there right now, and Norma 10mm's semi-mythical reputation deflates a little when you take into account how inconsistent the stuff was (a classic example of "Bullet Velocity Measured At The Box Flap")

Back