10MM Shooters, I need Advice on the S&W 10MM Auto Pistols.

• Thread starter Thread starter Beretta9MM
  • Start date Start date
B

Beretta9MM

I am wanting to add another 10MM to my collection, and the S&W 10mm is the only one I do not have. Any and all information on the S&W 10mm auto pistols will be appreciated. thanks...

IMHO: The 2nd amend. was put into place by our founding fathers to keep the government in check in the event we should no longer trust our government and, so the little people, us, could not be ran over if our government decided to go down the drain.. So the people in DC want our guns, i wonder why??

I have a 1076. I too wanted one and finally found it for the right price (a straight trade with a 457). So far it is the smoothest Smith auto I have fired and operated. The magazine ejects very positively and quick, allowing me a quicker reload. No malfunctions so far with the magazine or decock, which is the Sig style. An armorer I know advised me to be careful and gentle with it, as mashing it down will get it out of sync.
It is accurate for my purposes, not that I have sat down and shot groups with it. It will easily hold the center of a B 27 and TQ 15 target.
I have to leave the factory grips on it because of the decocker, and these feel just right. Getting a high grip on the gun is easy.
Any malfunctions I can think of I can attribute to the ammo. I have pretty much shot reloads through it, and the factory ammo works with no concerns. The reloads are from cases shot through a 10mm MP/10, and some of the cases are beat up.
I am shooting light loads with a 170 lead SWC. That said, I have an easy time cleaning it despite the lead bullets.
I have heard folks say they do not like Smith 10s, due to accuracy and reliability problems, but so far these have not affected my gun.
They are pretty sturdy guns, and magazines and holsters are not hard to locate. Smith 10s fit holsters made for Smith 45s, similar to Glocks because of the frame size.

Funny you should bring this up, becaude I just got back from the range with the 1066 I just bought very cheap from a friend of mine. I wasn't expecting much, I'll be honest. The Smith autos I've handled the last few years have beem pretty lackluster. I bought it as cheap trade bait, pure and simple. The feel of this gun was vastly superior to the 4013 TSW I was thinking about buying a few years ago. I had some .40 dies, and the right powder and bullets, so I bought primers and brass, and rolled up 50 rounds of 200gr lead. I'm keeping this gun, I have decided. :) It choked down all 50 of my reloads (and I'm a reloading rookie) without a hitch, and put the rounds where I wanted every time. I'm very impresed with this gun, and now I feel like I stole it from my buddy. :) I'm not sure where it fits in my battery, and its way too heavy to carry, but I'll find some use for it, it's just too fun to get rid of. A real cannon! I'm also seeing reload data for the 135gr JHP clocking 1600+fps, and eyeing it with evil intentions. ;) If you can find a good deal, like I did, I'd buy it. I'm thinking about putting an Optima on mine and just turning it into a plinking cannon, maybe hunt with it. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of gun traders??

DanO

One of the first questions you should address is the desired barrel length. The 1006, 1026 and 1046 are the 5 inchers, while the 1066, 1076 and 1086 are the shorter (4.25") models. I find the latter to be handier and just as accurate.

The next obvious question is the type of action you prefer. The 1006, 1026, 1066 and 1076 are DA/SA decocker versions while the 1046 and 1086 are DAO. The 1066/1006 have slide-mounted decockers while on the 1076/1026 they're on the frame. Personally, I prefer the DAO versions.

I think you'll find that S&W 10mms are durable, well-made pistols. A big plus is that they were designed for the 10mm round, unlike some of the 1911 conversions. They also seem to be somewhat plentiful right now. This is probably a good time to buy. The last time I looked PA Police Supply had 1086s in stock (recent police trade-ins). I think they we're about $325 a piece.

I have both 1076 and 1086 versions and find them extremely accurate. As you know, the 10mm is inherently accurate anyway, but from my experience the S&W certainly doesn't get in the way. They're certainly more accurate then I am.

If you like 10mm autoloaders, you definitely need at least one (if not more) of these in your collection.

I owned a 1006 with adjustable sights in the early 90's, shortly after the introduction of the 10mm S&W auto. I can attest to its accuracy and reliability, but at the time I disliked the double action out-of-the-box trigger of Smith autos. I also recall that it was a pretty hefty gun, IMO definitely not ideal as a duty or CCW weapon.

I've had mu 1076 since '93 and it has proven itself to be reliable accurate. . . and HEAVY! :D I have it on the best authority that the US Navy is buying up all available S&W 10mms to use as boat anchors! :D

There are some great deals to be had on any of the S&W 10mm pistols out there now. 1076s are starting at $400 bux and I have seen 1066/86s cheaper then that.

Personally I have found that S&W's DAO pistols seem to have a better DAO trigger as compared to other DAO pistols (no I am not considering Glock's trigger a DAO as some folks suggest that it is, to me it is spongey single action) and my 1076 does have a superior DA trigger as compared to my Sig 229.

Derek

Back