10mm, Recomendations & Unsupported Chambers

Postman

I am recently enammored with the 10mm cartridge and am considering either a S&W 1006 or a Glock 20.

I have a Glock 19 and while I like it I'm not sure I'm ready to once again undertake the exhaustive search for preban mags.

I am wondering if either Glocks or Smiths have the same problems with unsupported chambers in 10mm as they do in .40S&W.

Also submited for your oppinion; the recoil, muzzle flash and noise levels of the 10mm.

[This message has been edited by Postman (edited December 01, 1999).]

I have a Delta Elite, which I love, and the 10mm is an awsome round. Between the S&W and the glock, though, I'd go with the Smith. Recoil really isnt an issue for me. I'd say more than a 45acp, less than a 357mag. Muzzle flash kinda depends on the ammo/ propellant you're using, and as far as noise level goes, I dont know. Less than a 357 mag. Definately look into the 10mm, its a great round :)

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

IMHO, Smith's seem to have more recoil then Glocks. I purchased a Glock 20 and have been quite happy. Recoil with the reduced loads is very mild. I haven't heard of any KBs with the 20, search the forums or check out www.glockmeister.com. I suspect that most KBs are reloads that are loaded past the SAMI pressure levels for the 40 S&W.

The best advice is to test both guns and see what your preference is. Preban mags shouldn't be hard to find, just a little pricey. I can't recall how many rounds a Smith would hold, but 10-15 rounds (17 if you use and aftermarket plus 2 extender) is a big bonus point for the Glock.

I have a S&W 4506 and the recoil and muzzle blast seems tremendous in comparison to my Sig P220. Haven't figured it out yet.

I also have the Glock 20 (first Glock I bought) and shot it slowly to acquaint myself to it. It's not at all bad and is certainly more pleasant with 180 grains JHP or JSP that I've been shooting than the 4506.

But if you want a real hard hitting 10mm which is controllable, get a H&K MP5 Submachinegun in 10mm. :)

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Ummm..... MP-5/10mm.... I have dreams of that gun!!

Dear Santa: RCH was very, very, very good this year. Please give him an MP-5/10 under the tree and put 20 30 rounds mags in his stocking. Thank you!

I would offer an alternate way of getting to a 10mm. Consider an EAA witness. I was shooting mine yesterday and I put up some 2" 10 shot groups at 15 yards. Not bad for a $285 pistol. Mine is basically stock with a replacement rear sight and some good reloads.

I think if I would have tried harder it would have done better, but with my 10, I am basically out to go blasting.

The 10mm is sure a lot of fun to shoot. I was pushing some 180 grn JHP's with full loads of Blue Dot and it was quite impressive, shook the dust out of the rafters!

Have fun.

pete

Peter,

If you like that, you should see what 13.5 grain of Accurate no.9 under that same bullet sounds and feels like. That is a wheel gun only round, don't think that to many auto's can handle that load without shaking the gun loose.

Robert

The EAA Witness sounds like a great idea, for getting one's feet wet in 10mm. Not a huge investment at first. Is the gun built to withstand the abuses of 10mm?

Robert,

I checked my reloading notes, and the most I have tried in aa9 is 12.7 grns on a 180 jhp. I tend to be a slow methodical reloader, so I am getting ready to go up to max load (13.5 grns) when I get new brass in. I ordered 1000 pieces of starline brass this week, so I should be out on the range by two mondays trying out max loads.

Covert,

I have not seen any indications of problems with the witness handling the pounding. The witness is built like a tank and handles good hot loads really well. I put 200 rnds of 155 jhp's with 12.5 grns of aa7 (max load is 12.7 aa7) on monday and found it to be very easy and pleasent to shoot. I was also shooting my PPK/S and found it to be much worse in the recoil and pounding variety.

I have no regrets on the witness.
pete

Back