10mm Glock Blunderbuss

Swifty Morgan

I bought a Glock 20 a short time ago for open carry around the farm. I got it as an upgrade from a Glock 29 I carry concealed.

The other day, I got around to shooting the new gun. I used Sellier & Bellot ammunition. I wanted something cheap for the first few shots so I could vet the gun for defects before voiding my warranty with handloads.

This is my 5th Glock. The others all worked just fine. At 7 yards, I'm used to putting the vast majority of my shots into a circle as big as a golf ball. The new Glock opened up to around 3", and the shots landed 2" or more above the point of aim. The trigger seemed considerably worse than the triggers on my other Glocks. Long, spongy, and heavy.

Is this normal for a Glock 20? I'm already thinking about things like a new barrel and some trigger work.

I've not heard of any accuracy issues that are peculiar G20s. Mine seems to shoot ok.

Could be you have a problem gun, or maybe it just really doesn't like that S&B ammo. I've never tried S&B in a 10mm Glock.

The triggers in the larger Glocks can be a bit worse due to trigger bar flex, but I've not noticed it to be a hindrance to good shooting. In fact, my finger isn't "educated" enough to feel the difference. But some folks say they can tell.

If the gun won't shoot better than 3" at 7 yards, I would contact Glock before I spent any of my own money on it. That's not acceptable at all.

First, definitely try some different ammo. Mine really likes the PPU ammo--which is surprising because it's really cheap. I've also had good luck with the Blazer aluminum, if you can find it. In fact, other than some weird remanufactured stuff I tried many years ago, I've never really shot anything through it that didn't provide pretty good accuracy.

What do you think about finding a bullet lying on the ground behind the target when shooting at 7 yards? That doesn't make sense to me. I can't see a .45 round hitting sand and coming back out.

I have a G20 and G29. Of course the G29 is probably 10-12 years newer. I've owned, and still own multiple Glocks in other cartridges. They have all been very consistent with trigger pulls and accuracy. I rarely use the G20 anymore. Nothing wrong with it, but I shoot the G29 equally well and it takes the same 15 round mags if I'm inclined. Plus it is easier to carry.

I might try another type of ammo, but other than that wouldn't spend any money on the gun. I'd either send it back to Glock or dump it before throwing money at it. Glocks are usually pretty good right out of the box but everyone makes a lemon occasionally. Lots of guys would be perfectly happy with 3" groups at 7 yards.

What do you think about finding a bullet lying on the ground behind the target when shooting at 7 yards?
Unless your target is really substantial (made of thick, solid wood), I would think that the bullet went through, hit something downrange and bounced back. Or maybe it's left from something else. If it's the former, you need to figure out what's throwing bullets back from downrange instead of leaving them in the backstop.

Anything that has enough oomph to cycle the slide of a 10mm autopistol is going to go through any traditional target without even slowing down appreciably.

The 10mm packs considerable recoil. Could the spread and high hits be related to the trigger actuator?

I don't know enough about Glocks to comment on a trigger actuator.

The bullet on the ground makes me wonder if I should check the berm for rocks.

I wanted something cheap for the first few shots so I could vet the gun for defects,,,

3" group 2" above point of aim at 7yds?
Sounds like you got what you paid for...:rolleyes:

Seriously, there is some truth to the saying buy cheap, get cheap results.

Any time you are testing something, you need an established standard to measure against.

Right now, it seems you have 3 unknowns. The new gun, the ammo, and how they react together.

Using ammo of established performance is a fundamental step.

I suggest getting different ammo, 2 or 3 brands, and a couple different loads (bullet weights. styles) and see if the gun behaves the same with all, or differently with each. Then you have some basis for comparison.

A gun not working well with one specific brand or load of ammo is not an automatic factory warranty situation (unless the factory specifies that ammo will work).

Shoot factory ammo until you're sure the gun is mechanically functionally reliable. Once you're sure of what you've got, then you can look at reloading.

When I say it's cheap, I'm referring to the great price I got and the fact that it's not defensive ammo. I'm not criticizing the quality of the company's products. It's not from a third-rate company, and it's not my first box of Sellier & Bellot. I have used their FMJ in other calibers, and it worked fine. Inexpensive ammo from a company that makes good stuff should work well at 7 yards. It's not like I bought it from China. If you ever try it, you will see what I mean, unless there is something special about their 10mm FMJ.

Larry Vickers has a video of an S&B factory tour, and it makes the CCI factory look like a crack house. Very nice facility.

I would have bought Wolf, which has never once disappointed me, but this stuff came with brass.

Where I live, I would have to drive 80 miles round trip and pay $24 just to get Remington white box (Whoo hoo!). They closed the Gander Outdoors in my area, so gun shopping opportunities are pathetic. Gander was wonderful. I should have loaded up on everything before it shut down.

I am mainly wondering whether other people have had experiences like this with the Glock 20, but I will shoot the S&B through my Glock 29 to see if it's the problem.

G20

Quite a few years ago, I bought my first Glock, and that pistol was one of the original runs, no finger grooves, no rail. I guess that would make it what, a Gen 2 ? Anyhow, it did not quite shoot to point of aim, and I ended up installing a different height factory rear sight. I cannot recall if the pistol shot high or low. I was not happy with the trigger either, and installed a different connector, (Ghost 2.5??) which resulted in just what I wanted. I still have that gun, some twenty years later. It puts full power 180's about 2" high at 25 yds, and mid-range 180 reloads to point of aim.

Velocities of factory 10mm ammo vary greatly. It would not be unusual for various 10mm ammo, with the same bullet weight, to shoot to varying POI due to differences in velocity and recoil. The advice to try different ammo is sound. All equal, a lighter bullet should land lower and may solve your elevation problem without having to plumb the rear sight.

Before I got to nervous about group size........you are shooting off bags?

Is this a new G20 or an older one? The 20SF I have I bought some years ago and it came with the polygonal rifled unsupported chamber shroud that has since been discontinued/replaced. My particular gun you have to hold firm and "take the recoil hit" or else the bullets will spray and the risk of a stoppage goes up. The factory main spring was really 40 S&W grade IMO and I had to replace it with heavier power wolf springs when moving up to "for real Bren 10" power cartridges. I did the same trigger enhancement bamaranger did. Standing freehand 3" at 21 ft? Hmmm, in my book that's quite acceptable for a semiautomatic handgun but then I'm not a proficient hand-gunner.

Last edited:
Where I live, I would have to drive 80 miles round trip and pay $24 just to get Remington white box (Whoo hoo!). They closed the Gander Outdoors in my area, so gun shopping opportunities are pathetic. Gander was wonderful. I should have loaded up on everything before it shut down.
Had good luck ordering from SGAMMO. Pretty sure that's where I got the last batch of PPU for my G20.

Been awhile, I guess, looking at the date on the target.

attachment.php

I have actually shot it since then.

Out of four Glocks, my older 3rd gen G20 with the "frying pan" finish has the best mechanical accuracy (damn good for a glock), and the third best trigger. I like it, but haven't shot it in a while, and probably have not used any S&B ammo in 10mm.

I particularly like that older finish. I saw someone fumble an identical G20 from waste height, dropping it onto a hard cement driveway. After he picked it up and brushed off the cement dust, it was impossible to see any evidence of an impact on the gun. The driveway took more visible damage.

What do you think about finding a bullet lying on the ground behind the target when shooting at 7 yards? That doesn't make sense to me. I can't see a .45 round hitting sand and coming back out.
I usually get hit a couple of times a year from things coming back off the berm, especially when Im shooting up close to it. And its not always a close-up thing either, as Ive been hit with stuff as far away as 15 yards.

What comes back may not be what you just shot, but theres usually a lot of other stuff there that can and will.

I caught this in my glasses a couple of years back. A stark reminder why its important to wear PPE while you shoot. ;)

enhance

Could it be (Heaven forbid), new gun with new ammo, could it be the shooter?

If you mentioned it, I missed it, but what weight bullet? How many rounds did you fire? Maybe fire some more.

At 7 yards, new gun, new ammo and over 3" groups.

tipoc

I am not the problem. I knew someone would suggest that. As noted above, I shoot my other guns, including a different 10mm Glock, much better.

Back