10mm compared to other calibers

Smiley

I have fired 9mm, .45, and .357 mag. I am looking for comparison of these calibers to the 10mm and .357 sig. I dont have a range around here that rents out pistols so i need ot have some of you experienced with the 10mm and .357 sig to give a me as close a comparison to the other calibers i have fired. i am looking for a CCW in probably glock or HK compact size. i also had my eye on a Kimber ultra carry. ahh so many calibers so little money. Anyways, I am looking for comparisons becasue i have heard that teh 10mm has enough kick to hinder good follow up shots, especially in a compact barrelt length. I am a big guy about 250lbs so the 9mm is nothing and the .45 is not really much to me but i have only really fired form the standard length barrels. even though i am beefy and could more than likely not worry about recoil that much i want to know if it would really affect my follow ups to the point of being not worth it.

Thanks in advance.

God and soldiers, we adore
In times of danger, not before
With the danger safely righted
God is forgotten, and soldiers slighted

I carry...

...the compact 10mm Glock (G29). With the heaviest loads (Co-Bon hunting loads, high velocity heavy-bullet handloads, Cor-Bon's now-discontinued 180gr JHP's, etc.) muzzle-flip can be enough to hinder rapid double-taps. With plenty of stout defense loads, however, such as Cor-Bon's 135gr JHP's, Triton's 155gr Quik Shok, and Winchester's 175gr Silvertip, control is as easy as firing my G30 with +P .45 loads.

:D Well I'm just about your size, 5'9" 145 when soaking wet, and my first serious handgun was a Colt Delta Elite 10mm. Loved the thing and still shoot it often. Of course it is a much heavier weapon than the ones you are wanting for CCW. However, the 10mm can be handloaded for some very nice shooting. For self defense I would not use handloads however and go with some of the better stuff on the market.

You will have to decide if the follow up shot it too difficult or not. The 10mm does have some lift to it but it is not uncomfortable if you are an experienced shooter and know what to expect from some of the heavier calibers. Best advice if you can would be to rent one or borrow one from a friend in order to test out.

To let you know how the 10mm is, one day when shooting with a brass catcher on I noticed that the empty casings were going all over the place. It had thrown a shell right through the brass catcher and ripped it open. :) My kind of gun!

The 10 mm doesn't have any more subjective recoil than a 45 acp if fired in identical guns. At least with combat/defense type loads. I never got to try the corbon hunting loads for 10 mm so they might be a bit stiffer. But any auto cartridge [short of the 50 AE anyway] fired in an auto will be more comfotable to shoot than the 357mag/125jhp loads fired in a 4" revolver. I have shot full power loads of 45 Win Mag in my friends LAR Grizzly and that is far more comfortable and easier to shoot than a 357/125 IMO.

I am a huge 10mm fan. I love my 1076, G20 and my G29 (summer carry version! :D), both are very easy to control with any loads availible. In my opinion it is a great defensive caliber, offering the best of both worlds (potential and kinetic energy).

There was this myth of heavy recoil. From like sized weapons (G29 vs a snubby .357 Mag), I find the G29 has far less recoil and is offering over 500ft/lbs of energy in the full velocity 10mm loads.

I remember that the FBI made mention of undo recoil with their 10mm load, 180g@980fps. That's what the .40S&W does with the 180gr loading.

Derek

10mm

Smiley:
I carry a Bren Ten every day and I think you will love shooting 10mm. I feel that the recoil is less than a .45 and overall the pistol is more controllable. I'm 5'8" and 170 and I have no problems, even when I shott my defensive loads, Black Talons. The "snap" is less than a 9mm and the climb is less than a .45.

I can't speak to the .357SIG round, I've never shot it.

joegerardi

The reason your 10mm defensive loads kick so little is that the black talon 10mm load is loaded to 40 sw velocitys. There is no free lunch if a load has considerably more power it will have more recoil. The reason most on here feel there 10mm kicks the same as a 45 acp is because most of the 10mm loads available today are no longer full power. For instance Winchesters silvertips in 10mm 175 grain are only going 1160 in my glock 20 while +p 185 grian golden sabers in my glock 21 are going 1165. The 357 sig is the equal of the 357 mag as long as barrel lenghts of equal lenght are compared (4 inch revolver is realy more like a 5 inch auto)My 4.5 inch glock 31 launches 125 grain factroy golddots at 1430. Also this only applies with bullets that are best for defense and 125 grians or under.
The 10mm is more like the 357 mag with heavy bullets. It is more powerfull if handloaded but the factroy rounds are comparable. For example most factory 357 mag 180 grain rounds are at about 1100 about the same with the 10mm. 158 grian 357 mags are running at about 1250 while the 10mm with 155 grian loads is running at about 1300.
PAT

355SIGFan...

True, but that's just my self-defense loads. I use Georgia-Arms 200gr. JTCs for the range, and have no problems with those either. I should have been more specific: With UMC range ammo, G-A's, or the BT's I can handle the recoil with no problem. It's not just me either, I never shot anything but 9mm and under 20 rounds of .45 before I started shooting the Bren. I find that the recoil is easy to handle, and at that point, I'm experiencing the equivalent of .41 magnum.

The only disadvantage of the 10mm for a CCW weapon is that it can't be chambered in 9mm-sized platforms like a .357 Sig can, so the guns are slightly larger and heavier. In full size guns a 10mm has the advantage of being more versatile and really covers the same power/weight envelope as the .357 Magnum with a fatter bullet, as .355Sigfan indicated above... though I'd also point out that it is just as good with light bullets, factory 135gr loads going up to 1440 FPS.

I don't really see how .357 Sig is a "superior" defense cartridge to 10mm, aside from the advantage of its being chambered in smaller, handier guns (which is no small advantage for CCW). If launching a bigger, heavier bullet over the exact same velocity range produces inferior results on target... I'd like to hear the explanation. :)

C.B.

I don't really see how .357 Sig is a "superior" defense cartridge to 10mm, aside from the advantage of its being chambered in smaller, handier guns (which is no small advantage for CCW).
The last line tells it all. The 10mm has more potential stopping power if loaded like a 10mm but it needs a bigger gun and it has more recoil.
PAT

...Which is why I said it. :) If you need a little gun, .357 Sig is better. If size isn't an issue, 10mm is "better" (more versatile, more powerful loadings available, etc.).

C.B.

WESHOOT2,

I normally respect your opinions, but you've got me a little baffled, here. How exactly is a larger, heavier bullet going to be less effective than a smaller, lighter one when they are travelling at similar velocities? (A 135gr Cor-Bon from my G29 being ~55fps slower than 125gr Cor-Bon from a G32 and only ~30fps slower than 125gr Federal from the same G32...)

Back