10mm Auto opinions

scottsk

Inactive
Just looking for different opinions as to why the 10mm went belly up. I've owned many different pistols in many different calibers (who hasn't?!) and the 10 seems to be such a versatile round as far as the loadings are concerned.
I am aware of the trend towards compacts, but one would think that (other than Glock) a 10 compact would be feasible? Am I wrong?
Thanks

In order to take full advantage of the 10mm cartridge, it must be fired from a full size platform. If not, it is much like 357 Magnum from a snub. Lots of flash and bang, but no real advantage.

Robert

good point, thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert the41MagFan:
In order to take full advantage of the 10mm cartridge, it must be fired from a full size platform. If not, it is much like 357 Magnum from a snub. Lots of flash and bang, but no real advantage.

Robert
[/quote]

The 10mm was given a bad reputation by the dorks in the FBI and has never recovered, that coupled with the 40 smith being nothing but a shorter 10mm with slightly thinner brass.

could not agree more, previous post may be valid, but i still love the 10, thanks for the reply.....S

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by headroom:
The 10mm was given a bad reputation by the dorks in the FBI and has never recovered, that coupled with the 40 smith being nothing but a shorter 10mm with slightly thinner brass.[/quote]

Robert, why is there no real advantage to firing a 10mm round from a compact pistol? Have you ever chronographed any 10mm loads from a Glock 29? There is still PLENTY of velocity and energy, so why does the advantage go away?

------------------
Glocktalk "Ten Ring" member #2027 If it ain't somethin' it's somethin' else.

[This message has been edited by mallron (edited January 16, 2000).]

I would assume that he means that there is not much advantage over some of the better .40 S&W loads. Also, the so-called stopping power ratings of the best 10mm loads are only marginally better than the best .40S&W, but at the price of excessive recoil and nasty muzzle flash (liabilities from a tactical standpoint).

Gee, Piggy, you stole my line! :)

The 10mm, in most loading manuals, is almost a mirror of 40 S&W. Maybe 100 FPS advantage to the 10mm, but usually test fired from a longer barrel too. Where the 10mm really out shines the 40 S&W is in high velocity rounds. Those require the use of slow burning powders like Accurate #9, IMR 800X or Blue Dot. These slow burning powders need longer barrel lengths to achieve full burn. If you can't get a full burn, there is no real big advantage. Lot of pop, flash and maybe a few FPS, if you are lucky. Apples to apples, factory chart. A 180gr bullet fired from a 40 S&W travels at about 985 to 1015 feet per second. The same bullet fired from a 10mm travels about 950 to 1030 feet per second (Gun digest 1999).

I like 10mm, have a 610 with a 6 inch barrel. Spent the summer playing with loads, shooting 40's in the gun, did lots of stuff. The only time that there was a significant advantage to 10mm was when slow burning powder was applied. Those same 180 grain bullets traveled at over 1350 feet per second. Now, that is a advantage that cannot be achieved by any 40 S&W.

Mallron, you are correct, there is still plenty of velocity and energy behind that bullet, and so does the 40 S&W too. At a lesser cost per round, less recoil and lots less flash.

Robert

Belly up?

10mm 200g FMJ-FP: 1200fps (but you'll need a 22 or 24lb spring in your Glock).

IMHO 10mm is best in the 610..........

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

I will add that I have both a 40 and a 10 in the same frame. I love the 10 over the 40 any day. More accurate and easier to shoot.

I have recently been working up more and more agressive 10mm reloads based upon the pressure ring technique of load development. I am definately up there, but it still functions great.

I think the 10 took a dive because a bunch of recoil shy poeple could not handle the abuse that full load 10's can dish on the shooter. No one wants to admit that they are recoil shy, so hence the 10 is a bad round and the 40 is the savor!

Go figure.

Honestly, I think it was a recoil and training issue. Once it was determined that it would take extra training to insure confidence, all of the sudden it over-penetrated, was too loud, and recoiled like a bazooka... Because you don't appropriate funds then change your mind on a whim. ;-)

Erik

Remember- it was put on a pedestal, then shelved, by federal law enforcement. Think "training new recruites."

The 10 is dead? I beg to differ. I can get factory new ammo pretty much anywhere, and I make my own.

Recoil is not an issue, for me at least. Morgan, who mostly shoots .40, had zero problems with recoil yesterday with my G20.

I don't notice any more flash/blast with the 10 than any other round.

In sum, I love the 10 and will work to keep it going. Of course, at 1200fps, it doesn't need much help with momentum. ;)

"The 10 ain't dead, it's... pinin' for the fjords!" :)

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson

Robort,

If you head over to Calibers and see the chono's of 10mm out of the 'subcompact' Glock 29, you will see that factory defensive ammo in 10mm out of that short barrel clocks at a couple hundred fps over any good .40 load.

I still do not like the 10mm out of the small gun, because I do not like the muzzle flash and I think the Glock 30 .45 is a better way to go (less muzzle flip, plenty of power, no flash).

But, although the 10mm does lose a lot out of the shorter barrel, it is certainly still a healthy step above the .40.

For instance, the Corbon 180gr clocks at 1158fps out of the little Glock 29.
Those are numbers WAY above what any .40 could put out.

Even so, I honestly still prefer the .40 out of a small gun, because I dispise muzzle flash, and the .40 is still smaller and more efficient. But I certainly respect anyone who really wants those extra 200 fps out of the 10mm.

Look at the "10mm advocacy article" at: http://www.greent.com/40Page/

i'll add my support for the 10mm. it's a great modern cartridge that has run into a pretty stubborn wall of resistance to something new...hehe.

------------------
Mik

<A HREF="http://"http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm.html"" TARGET=_blank>my 10mm page</A>

Oh, please don't read my post above as if I don't like the 10- I do. But it has not enjoyed the "mainstream" popularity perhaps it should have for reasons cited.

Erik

Back