10mm and clays

jjavedas

has anybody worked up any loads w/clays in 10mm hodgdons doesn't have any data, and I'd like to think i'm smart enough to think I shouldn't try something without asking first.
By the way, this is being fired from a S&W 610 revolver.

I've built some .45 acp target loads very soft shooting.
Thanks jj

"...Hodgdon doesn't have any data..." Contact 'em and ask if they have any. It probably has not been tested. However, other forums say Clays is too fast.
Barnes shows data for Universal Clays and their 155 grain bullet.

Clays works great in 45ACP, 38, and even in 9mm...............if there is no data, there is a reason for that.

It may be the minimum pressure requirement. When you get fast powders up to higher pressures, small charge weight errors make bigger differences in peak pressure.

Contact Hodgdons and provide them the same information INCLUDING the gun to be used. The reaso there is no data most likely is that their data was based on operating the usual suspect 10mm firearms.....SemiAuto pistols. They have a much narrower operating window than a revolver.

Clays works great in 45ACP, 38, and even in 9mm...............if there is no data, there is a reason for that.
Pressure/velocity testing is a time-consuming and expensive process for loading manual makers. None can test all appropriate powders, so choices are made limiting those tested. And since Clays is listed for the .44 Magnum (and others) by its distributor it should be appropriate for the big 10.

Lyman does list one pressure-tested load with Clays in the 10mm, under the Sierra 190 HP. So it must be appropriate. Maybe not the best...

True, just because there is little data does not mean the powder is not a decent choice. There are so many powders available today, no one manual publisher can develop data for all appropriate powders.

OTOH, no available data could mean it’s not a good choice. Not much data for Bullseye in the .338-378 Weatherby....

Can you find data for .40 S&W? Start there. There's probably no 10mm data because it wouldn't have enough gas or recoil to operate a semiautomatic.

Having looked at past published sources....there is data available. That said I go back to my admonition... call Hodgdon's. Tell them the application and they can & will provide you guidance.

Clays is ost likely ADI AS30N.. feel free to prove me wrong OR go from there.

I would imagine Clays would give some reasonable and light target loads for the 10mm that would work okay in the revolver, but might be borderline in a semi. Should make some mouse fart loads for the wheel gun though.

I think Universal would be a better target load powder. There are several good powders for the 10mm...Clays is an unlikely candidate.

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

Jjavedas,

Comparing Hodgdon data to QuickLOAD by adjusting QuickLOAD's powder model to better match Hodgdon's measurements, it looks to me like 150 to 180-grain jacketed bullets over 3.2-3.5 grains of Clays will give you jacketed target velocities with pressures in the .45 Auto target load pressure range. Lead bullets may be loaded lower. I don't know details like the lengths of your barrel and cylinder and be cautioned this is not data tested by me or by Hodgdon, so you have to watch out for loads that stick in the barrel due to more gas bypass and barrel/cylinder gap pressure bleed-off than I can accurately allow for. Be careful never to shoot another round into a bullet stuck in the bore, as that can be the end of your gun. If you have a chronograph, see if you can tune loads to be 750 fps-ish from a 4" revolver barrel and 800 fps-ish from a 6" barrel.

I want to thank everybody for the response, and found Hodgens does give load data for .40 S&W, and could use this as a baseline. I may try this in the future,but in name of safety, and I'm very fond of my eyesight and hands, if hodgens(or any other component manufacturer)doesn't list a load there is probably a good reason.
Besides i'm very happy with the results i'm getting from alliant BE-86.
Like all the smart guys say , safety first.
Thanks again JJ

Excessively fast burn powders in many instances can cause semi auto "short stroking" causing FTF's . Not an issue in a revolver, but 10mm semi's already can be fussy feeders in the 1911 platform. Sometimes this occurrence can be offset by running a heavy projectile but in this case where data is very limited seems better just to select a more ideal proven powder.

Back