10mm ammo - Glock 20

Hiker 1

Has anyone taken any hogs or other large game with a 10mm, specifically a Glock 20?
If so, what ammo do you recommend?

Thanks!

Hiker 1

Glock 20 Gen 4 is the only pistol that I own and ever have owned. I'm much more of a rifleman.
But my G20 is on my hip on all hunts or whenever I'm out in the field doing whatever from working on firewood, building fence, or checking or feeding cattle that G20 stays on my side.

The only hunting that I really do is a little deer and a whole whole lot of hog hunting. The bullet that I came to settle on as my perfect hunting round after much research and head scratching is the 200 grain XTP by Underwood Ammo. I chose this round after much debate because the XTP is known as one of the better hunting hollow points offering controlled expansion and deeper penetration. I chose the 200 gr. Over the 180 gr. For more penetration even though it doesn't expand quite as wide it's a hollow point so it still expands enough and gives you more key penetration due to the higher sectional density and slower expansion. I chose Underwood Ammo because they are one of the few companies that load the 10mm to full magnum power and they make excellent quality ammo as well as posting honest ballistics ad Double Tap had been known to stretch their advertised ballistics from time to time.
Besides finishing off wounded hogs the only time I have killed an animal with my G20 was a 250 lbs boar that was at a dead run 65 yards off, one shot from my G20 with the 200 gr Underwood dropped him in his tracks. So I would strongly reccomend this round. It's also accurate and I have had no feeding or firing issues or any issues ever with it.

Hiker I've shot and seen alot of hogs killed with 10mm. I use a couple different 1911'styles but most all of my buddies use the g20. Perfect choice for tromping thru the thickets and swamps down here in louisiana. I've not noticed a big difference in any of the different types of ammo except for the light weight self defense loads. We run these hogs with our dogs before shooting them so our shots are close and usually well aimed. These hogs have the adrenaline flowing so they don't die easily. Any of the 165 grain and heavier bullets should do just fine. I usually buy buffalo bore 180 hollow points. One buddy bought the extremely heavy 220 grain cast bullets and had some feeding issues. I grabbed the wrong mag one day and shot a small sow the power ball 135 gr bullets. Didn't penetrate very deep but she died quickly none the less.

Just ask Uncle Ted how he feels about the G20 and the mighty 10mm.

I have seen episodes of the Spirit of The Wild where he takes deer with it at some long ranges.

There's is a 8- or 10-page long 'stickied' thread over in GT (10-Ring sub-forum) that I started years ago with pages upon pages of deer and other 10mm kills. I'm not gonna post the link cause the mods over here get the or tailfeathers ruffled when I have in the past.

Back