10mm action..double action that is..

shiroikuma

I want a 10mm next. I also don't want to spend more than $600 so no Delta Elites. No Bren Tens either. Now of the choices I see available there are basically two. S&W full size stainless autos with about 9 round caps, Glocks with up to 15 rounds if you morgage a kidney for the high cap mags and the much maligned Witness line by EAA (who run the dumbest adds in the industry).

Anybody got one? How do you like the feel and shootability? I'm more interested in the Witness and S&W pistols. I've had a glock and it was fun and I could shoot it well but those 10mm ones are THICK! They are tough too but lets face it only a mother could love that dogface-beaten with the ugly stick for sure.

I wanted to do a search but it's down again so....?

shiro

PS I live in Alaska but I hope to get the heck out sooner or later so it's not really for bears...but it would beat the heck out of a 9mm. I don't shoot revolvers well so please dont' suggest one of those round and round things..

Yeah, I know its the Semi-auto board, but...does it HAVE to be a semi??? The reason I ask is that S&W has just recently re-introduced their Model 610 revo in 10mm...uses full-moon clips and can shoot .40 S&W, too!!! Just a thought...FWIW....mikey357

Shiro, I've owned the Glock and the Smith in 10mm. You know I just bought the Witness in .45. I would have to say that you should take advantage of the Witness. The chamber on mine is fully supported, and the build quality is stout, to say the least. If not the EAA, then I would have to give the edge to the Glock. You can always get the grip frame reduced. I just think that it will stand up to the hot stuff much easier than the 1006. Afterall, Ted Nugent uses one.:)

The Witness line is one of the most underrated in the States. In Europe, the Tanfoglio pistols are some of the most common found in competition shooting. (EAA is just an importer) Some will say that you should get an original CZ, of course they don't make a 10, but from my experience, the Witness' fit and function is at least as good as a CZ. Most even better. I own two Witness pistols, one in 45, one in 40. They both are tighter, smoother, and finished better than any CZ I've ran across with the exception of the anniversary CZ. It is very hard to go wrong with a Witness. However, I am a Glock-a-holic above all, and would suggest the G20 first. Even if you live with the decaf mags, 10+1 of 10mm is a lot of firepower! I'm not a big fan of S&W semi auto triggers. But, the guns are built like tanks, and can be had for a song sometimes.

Ghillie

I have the 10mm witness and the 10mm glock so I will speak first hand. Ithink my witness is great. Very accurate great trigger and fully supported case. It is cheap, poorly finished and reminds me of a tank everytime I shoot it, but I can shoot it very accurately and it is fun to use. My glock is a great gun for carry/camping. 16 rnds of 10mm should stop just about anything (I hope). It is reasonably accurate, but I cannot seem to get over the squishy feel of the gun during firing. I will stay with my witness for full house loads.

Glad to know my topic isn't forgotten. I did try handling the compact 10mm witness and glock together. I have to say the Witness seems a much nicer gun. The slide on the glocks is really, really thick. The grip sizes were about the same but I liked the Witness better..even though it only comes with 10 rounds.

shiro

You can't go wrong with a 10mm! Except emptying out your wallet to buy a Bren Ten!

There's been a lot of talk about the different tens. I love my G20 and my S&W 1076. I have had both for over five years and they are accurate and reliable. My G29 is a great pistol and a daily carry piece in the summer. All three are expensive pistols $450+.

The 10mm Witness is very *interesting* to me. I own a .38 S/9x23 Win (2nd barrel I had rechambered) Witness and to tell the truth. The 290 bux I put into purchasing the gun, the extra $ that I put in to the 2 extra high cap mags and the barrel work has been worth it. The Witness sits in my had great, points like a weather vane in a wind storm and is reliable. My buddy Jon is a fellow 10mm fanatic (I can't remember his url. . . something like marinafortunecity.com) and he has given his Witness a rave review.

Any quality 10mm Auto is a good buy in my opinion. :D

Derek

hmmm as an update i've been crusing the shops looking for a used 10mm and found a nice mini glock with night sites and a harts recoil reducer for $525.. It's got two little screws in the left hand side of the slide though.. They dont't look nice and I'm not sure I want one with a Holey slide (laugh). The price is good though.

I can't imagine what they owner had attached to the slide. The shop guy said he thought the guy had a thumb shield attached but that doesn't make any sense to me. It would just be something whizzing back and forth on the slide and would be more dangerous to your thumb I think.

anyway...still thinking

shiro

Glock 20C... my current 10mm and by far the best. EXTREMELY accurate (on par with my Kimber Classic Stainless Target!), reliable, and very easy to shoot well. The porting does a fantastic job of reducing felt recoil to very low levels. The grips ARE fat, and at first kind of put me off. BUT they do a great job of distributing the recoil and actually seem to make it nicer to shoot, which I did not expect. Handles both weak practice loads and higher-powered factory ammo (175gr Silvertips, 155gr Pro-Load, 165gr Cor-Bon) equally well. Only warning: if you get used magazines, replace the springs. Old magazine springs are the only source of problems with Glocks that I've actually seen. Also have the 6" factory barrel and it works well too, though an aftermarket barrel by KKM or Bar-Sto might give you a SMIDGEN more accuracy. The only upgrade I feel this gun could really use is the sights, stock Glock sights are kind of crappy (Heinie Slant-Pros are excellent IMHO).

EAA Witness fullsize 10mm... my first 10mm and a good gun in its own right. Certainly it wins the prize for "best buy" at ~$300. Only warning: get the NEW magazines with the red followers from EAA. The old magazine with the black follower that came with my Witness made it a Jam-o-Matic until I got the new ones. With the new magazines it was 100% reliable with everything that would fit in the chamber. Really nice ergonomics, good trigger, DA/SA you could carry cocked-and-locked, and built like a tank. Some downsides: very few accessories/upgrades available, slightly "rough" appearance, and just passable accuracy. Recoil was very moderate even with 180gr Pro-Loads.

C.B.

I currently own...

...and love the G29; Glock's compact 10mm. The grip is somewhat smaller in diameter than that on the full-size G20. I have one non-gelded G20 mag with a Pearce Grip Adaptor on it that I use for backup. It's a great caliber; no other autopistol caliber gives you such a broad selection of power levels in factory loaded ammo, and the Glock will feed them all without a hitch.

On the witness magazines, I talked to one of the brothers tanfolgio and they pointed out that the problem magazines do not have extension wings on them like the new ones. Look at only ones (black followers) and new ones (red followers) very closely and you will see the extra wings on the feed lips. No wings = mag feed failures.

Back