100grain 6mm bullets

Byron Adams

I am interested in deer hunting experiences with 6mm 100 grain bullets. Maximum range is 200 yards with most shots under 100 yards. What brands are best and worst? My rifle is a Remington 700 in 243.

I've taken at least 50 deer with an old custom Mauser in .243. Most of these were taken with Federal Premium 100 grain Nosler partitions. A good number of those animals were taken beyond 300 yards and nearly all were clean one-shot kills - the few animals requiring a second shot (with one exception) were due to less than optimum bullet placement where it wouldn't have amttered what I was using... I muffed a few shots...

The only real failure I ever had with the Noslers was a largish doe who I shot broadside from less than fifty yards. After the shot, she just stood there looking around ready to bolt - so I shot her again and she fell dead on the spot.
I thought I had somehow missed but when I examined her I found the first shot had went between ribs and exited on the far side (also between ribs) without expanding. I have no explanation for that since every other Partition I've put into an animal has worked perfectly.

An even better load for deer was a handload with 80 grain Barnes X's at extreme velocity. This was absolute deer poison with the most dramatic instant kills I've ever seen with any rifle or caliber. I don't know if anyone offers such a load commercially though.

Nosler Partition!

I concur, the 100 grain Nosler Partition. I have taken deer as far as 300 steps with this a Rem 700 .243 and Leupold 3x9 w/ Partition handloads. I have never lost an animal. Quick, clean kills.
:D

I'ved used the Sierra GameKing 100 ( a boat tail) - Federal offers this as a commercial load in their Premium line - but never on game - targets only. Shoots very well.

Only game I've ever taken with .243 is Hornady's 87 gr Spire point & it has alway dropped 'em within 10 feet.

I have used the 180 Sierra GameKing in .30-06 for elk with excellent results.

Nosler makes 90 and 95gr Ballistic Tips, as well as 85, 95, and 100gr Partitions (as others have mentioned).

Barnes lists 85, 90, and 95gr X-bullets.

Of course, Art (I think?) has reported that the Sierra 85gr GameKings work extremely well on deer.

-z

Yeah, got lazy and quit bothering with the 70-grain Hornady for varmints or the 100-grain for deer. I just use the Sierra 85-grain HPBT for everything. I'm picky about shot placement, and don't take shots much over 150-200 yards. With a good rest, I wouldn't mind longer distances...

The rifle is a tack-driver, and the 2X7 Leupold is plenty of lens.

:), Art

I decided to go with a slightly longer bl than I had originally planned. Fortunately, the Hornady stats for 6mm Rem are only from a 22" bl, so I should have little problem getting, say, a 95-grainer going 3000 fps.

I bought my little Sako Forester in 1970 or so. It's a 19" barrelled critter. Seven pounds, total. That makes it 40 pounds or so lighter than my '06, at the end of 12-15 miles. :D

Art

Back