1000 yard Mosin Nagant Shot

That is really impressive for such an old rifle! I'd like to see what you can realistically achieve with an otherwise stock (or at least stock looking) rifle.

Good stuff! The first time I ever saw a K31 was some guy at the range dinging a 700 yard target with open sights. I bought one the next week and it does shoot...

x54r

Though an old ctg and antique design, the x54r soldiers on. Seems like I read some where that the Russians used some special match rifles to compete at the olympic level, chambered in x54R!.

Currently, the PKM , the SVD and the PSL still use the ctg in combat in the Middle East

What surprises me about that video, is not that the gun/round shoots at 1000 yards, but that people are surprised it did so.

I've studied sniping for a long time. In doing so I've seen the list of the Most Confirmed Kills by snipers throughout history, at the top of the list were the Russian snipers using Mosins and the 7.54X54r. These were not the high powered, high tech stuff you see now, but they were War Time Production rifles, Most even by WWII Russian Standards weren't sniping rifles but standard service grades. (The all time top sniper was a Finish Soldier in the who didn't even use a scope).

If you get a surplus 91/30, with a decent barrel, and load it with good components, (there are even match quality .311 bullets out there) it will make a quality target rifle without a whole lot of modifications. The one thing that I don't like about the Mosins is their lack of ability to make quick windage changes via the sights. But all in all, its a pretty good system, proven by the fact its the longest surviving military rifle out there, still being used to day in precision shooting and combat.

Just goes to show you young'uns that us old ones might not be able to shoot as much as we used to or as often, but when we do we are spot on target.....:D!

Back