$1000 for Centerfire Rifle & Centerfire Pistol

Let's see what kind of gear can be done in the under $1000 or less category. Everything you need (sights, magazines, ammo, holster for pistol) for a fully functional centerfire prifle and centerfire pistol.

What is the purpose of these guns? Target shooting, competition, hunting, self-defense, home defense, break down of rule of law? Inquiring minds need to know.

I agree with first two posters. There are no parameters. What type of shooting? What firearms do you already have? How many rounds per year? Will you want to carry the pistol for SD? There are too many variables.

That said, I'm going to give an answer after assuming a WHOLE LOT. I'm going to assume this is a suggestion for someone who owns no firearms, wants general purpose firearms, and will want to carry the pistol for SD. The rifle will be an AR15 built on an Anderson lower with PSA parts. Preferably upgrades like the ept added, all still under 500 bucks. Add an extra 150 and you can have a decent sight and 4 or 5 PSA mags. For the pistol? Used RIA 1911. Great for range use and can actually conceal fairly well if you're willing to dress around it a bit. Both classics, capable, and fun to shoot.

Parameters are new shooter who is getting into shooting, owns no guns and wants the most versatile centerfire rifle/pistol combo possible for under $1000; but the entire budget - slings, cases, storage, magazines, ammo, sights, cleaning gear, etc. has to come in under $1000.

Ruger American rifle in 7mm-08. Glock 19. Crossbreed Holster and Beltman belt. 5 extra glock mags for now. Meprolight tritium sights. Simmons scope to start off with on the rifle. Done.

I would probably go fully Smith & Wesson M&P. You could get an M&P 15 plus an M&P 9 or 40 and still come out under $1000 if you shop around.

Too easy, I found everything in 5 mins on Buds for under $1000

Rifle:
Savage 11 TH XP .223, comes with a 3-9 Nikon Prostaff: $446 shipped for cash + $20FFL - $75 rebate= $391

Pistol:
S&W M&P9= $429 + $20FFL= $449

Holster:
Personal choice, but $30 will get you there no problem

Cleaning kit:
Any $20 kit will work just fine.

Sling:
Basic sling and a pair of swivels: $15

Case:
Not gonna get any kind of quality, but any basic Plano with a cheap padlock will keep the kids out: $25

100rds of WWB 9mm: $25
20rds of 9mm Gold Dot: $20
60rds of Federal AE .223: $25

Total: $1000

Even with a $1500 budget, I'd still buy the same rifle and pistol...but also a base-model Ruger 10/22 (with a VQ hammer and upgraded irons, $300) or if the guy likes pistols better, a Ruger SR22 ($350) plus 1000rds of CCI SV and spend the leftover on more 9mm and .223.

Back