10 round Kahr 9mm factory magazine

HighValleyRanch

If you go to the Kahr website, they list the 10 round magazine for their 9mm line of pistols. But it says that it is preorder, and I emailed to find out when they would be available, but no reply back.

On "fleabay" I found a dealer carrying them? Huh, so I took a chance on getting one. Slightly higher price than the 61.00 on the Kahr website.

When it arrived, it was packaged in a funky plastic bag that had "Kahr" written on the paper. The dealer claimed it was a Kahr factory magazine. Of course I was wondering how this dealer got hold of them before they were released to the public.

When I inspected the magazine, I thought that I got jipped. The body of the magzine says Kahr 9-7, so it looked like someone had just added an extended baseplate to a standard 7 round magazine body and called it factory.

But when I went back to the Kahr website, I could see that it was indeed what Kahr was offering as their ten round magazine. The photo in the Kahr site shows the 9-7 metal body and it says that it has an aluminum baseplate and is made for the cw, p series, not the t eight round series. So somehow I got one of the first ones.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 2.15.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 2.15.07 PM.png
    223.5 KB · Views: 876
The magazine I got

Here are photos of the actual magazine I recieved from this mysterious dealer.
The first photo shows the size next to a standard 1911 MecGar 8 round .45 acp magazine.
attachment.php

The seconds shows the magazine in my Kahr PM 9. It is made to fit the p and c series so any of the 7 round grip lengths. In the PM there is going to be a gap.
I got this for my backup mag to CCW, so I am not concerned with looks or gap.
attachment.php

The last photo shows the markings of the Kahr factory magazine and 9-7 body as in the Kahr website and the aluminum extended baseplate that looks identical to what Kahr is offering.
attachment.php

It loaded up fine with ten rounds of 9mm, but will be a few days before I can actually run some live ammo through it for field testing. Will update this post when I get around to that.

Attachments

• P1010314.JPG
    P1010314.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 857
  • P1010315.JPG
    P1010315.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 854
  • P1010316.JPG
    P1010316.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 854
By the way, the nicely formed base extension is NOT removeable. Looks like it is pinned in from the rear. So there was no way to see what kind of spring they are using, but it has strong tension with only one round loaded, yet you can still load the full ten rounds. The follower looks like the standard Kahr follower that is plastic with the metal insert for locking back the slide.

I can't see that 10-round mag in the pistol while carrying concealed. Kind of takes away the advantage of a smaller pistol. I guess for range work and maybe as an extra mag to carry, it would be okay.

Let us know if it is reliable. I have a Kahr CM9 and, over the years, I've seen comments that the 7-round mags are not as reliable as the 6-round mags in it. I haven't really noticed that, but it is a gun I only occasionally shoot.

I was looking at those 10-rd mags during the summer of love, but got five 8-rd mags instead.

Kahr might have gotten that idea from Kel-Tec.

The factory 10-rd mag for the P-32 uses a regular 7-rd mag with an extended plastic base to allow three more rounds.

Attachments

• P32 10-rd.jpg
    P32 10-rd.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 14
I saw that on Kahr's website as well. Looks like crap, but it'll do the job. I just don't like the extra bulk of the big aluminum extension, as opposed to an actual longer mag. When I pocket carry my CM9, I always carry an 8-round mag as a spare to the 6-rounder in the pistol.

Yeah, I didn't look carefully enough. I thought that it was a metal body ten rounder with a sleeve, not a clunky aluminum extended base plate like the Galloway type.
I was using my 7 rounder with a magguts kit to make it a nice compact 8 rounder.

I'm going to make a kydex mag carrier for it tomorrow. We will see how it works out with that.

I'd never seen MagGuts before. I just looked them up, and that looks pretty cool! I might get a kit to squeeze 1 more round into my 6-round flush mag. That'd give me 8 in the pistol and 8 in my spare mag.

I used their +1 kits in my Shield and then my Kahr when they just came out with them this year. Never had a problem with them working. They use a thin metal follower and special springs to get the extra space needed for one more round.

From experience, I can tell you that the factory 7-round Kahr magazines with plastic baseplates should be avoided. The plastic is simply too thin where it meets the bottom of the mag body and is extremely prone to breakage. The quality of the plastic is also quite low compared to the polymers used by other manufacturers (ie Glock or Magpul). The mags with stamped steel baseplates are good to go.

Maybe they have learned from their mistakes. At least this magazine uses an aluminum baseplate.

Echoing Fish, the extended mag is less reliable (in the PM9/CM9 CM40/PM40) because the angle difference between the first round and second round in a Kahr magazine is a marvel of magic. When you push on the mag that isn't supported by the base plate, round hits that already steep Kahr feedramp, smiley, round locks up gun. You might not get an immediate failure, but that's where it is likely going to come from.

So what you are claiming is that a Kahr P9 using a standard 7 round magazine is less reliable than a Kahr PM9 using a standard 6 round magazine? And that the t9 is even less reliable because of the longer 8 round magazine?

Any extended magazine is well documented to have a higher rate of failure for Kahr. Yes. Notice I didn't say it will happen here or below.

Does it happen and is it documented? Yes.

Think about it. Kahr got their reputation starting out with the K9 that uses the infamous 7 and 8 round magazine you are talking about. If it was so bad, they never would have gotten off the ground. Now put that same mag into the PM9 and there is no difference.

Do you mean longer or extended, because if you put a 7 round mag in the p series, it is not extended, but standard. Same for the 8 rounder in the t series. So extended is totally dependent upon putting a longer mag in a smaller pistol.

Never heard that the bigger Kahrs were less dependable than the micro's. Usually the opposite.

I checked my 6 round mag and the ten round mag, and the angle of the loading cartridge is exactly the same for both a fully loaded ten round mag and the six round mag.

Fully documented by Kahr or internet gossip?
Never heard Kahr claim that their longer mags were not as reliable.

But I will agree that ten round magazine is indeed EXTENDED!:D

Last edited:
Any extended magazine is well documented to have a higher rate of failure for Kahr. Yes. Notice I didn't say it will happen here or below.

Does it happen and is it documented? Yes.
Never heard that and have proven that is wrong. Just typical internet gossip. I have a mixture of all kinds of Kahr mags. All run great. With the exception of a 7 rd magazine with Magguts. Mag gut problem not Kahr.

The extended mag implies extended. On the PM9/CM9. As I've stated.

Because you haven't experienced an issue does not make variation nonexistent. Google backs up the 7rnd mag CAN be an issue in the CM9/PM9. By people who also own the gun you own. Variation.

Kahrtalk.com title: "Why do the Kahr extended magazines exhibit problems?"
http://www.kahrtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-27478.html

Recall, Kahr changed their followers 2-3 years ago. For reliability following a private company (Lakeline: https://lakelinellc.com/shop/metal-magazine-follower-for-9mm-kahr/) was making better followers.

Last edited:
The extended mag implies extended. On the PM9/CM9. As I've stated.

Well, I went and googled the "problem".
Appears that people that had problems with the 7 round magazine over the 6, but the problem was always the longer magazine in the short grip of the PM series.

But if you investigate, the problem is NOT with the magazine, but with how people are gripping the extended mag and putting extra pressure on the angle of the mag, and causing it to bind.

So it is not a magazine problem, but an operator problem.

Could not fine much about people having problems with a eight round mag in the p series gun with longer grips that would prevent finger pressure on the magazine.

From experience, I can tell you that the factory 7-round Kahr magazines with plastic baseplates should be avoided. The plastic is simply too thin where it meets the bottom of the mag body and is extremely prone to breakage. The quality of the plastic is also quite low compared to the polymers used by other manufacturers (ie Glock or Magpul). The mags with stamped steel baseplates are good to go.

Maybe they have learned from their mistakes. At least this magazine uses an aluminum baseplate.

I upgraded the plastic baseplate on my 7 round CC magazine with the stainless steel part from Kahr.

Attachments

• 11D46FAA-4074-49B5-9962-EFCB3087758F.jpeg
    11D46FAA-4074-49B5-9962-EFCB3087758F.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 26
Back