10 Meter Air Pistol in the Olympics

stinkeypete

I just had to tell a young man, a genius in his own mind, that the caliber was not 10 meters. It's the distance to the target. And they are air pistols.

His point was that a ten meter handgun would have a much bigger kick, so the olympics were clearly fake news.

Sheesh.

Stinky he might have been feigning ignorance in order to elicit a reaction out of you. Just how big does he say those real Olympic pistols are??[emoji3]

The problem is that people who aren't educated on a particular topic also aren't capable of assessing their own level of education on the topic. If they know a little bit, they tend to over-estimate their level of knowledge significantly. It's basically the old adage, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

I think it goes deeper than this. He thought 10M was either the caliber or oal of the cartridge. Did he never learn tha metric measurement system during the 10 years of school it was taught to him? What else is he missing from his education? Is he allowed to vote, work, drive?

If I had to guess, I would think he mistook 10meter for 10millimeter and doesn't know enough about guns or the metric system to understand his mistake.

Is he allowed to vote, work, drive?

Yes. I can almost guarantee that there are topics on which you are ignorant, just as there are with me. Voting isn’t something we gatekeep based on what we personally consider important. That’s a very slippery slope.

I can almost guarantee that there are topics on which you are ignorant, just as there are with me.

I completely agree. If you want, my wife can list them out! That said I don’t regularly try to speak on the topics that I am ignorant on.

I completely agree. If you want, my wife can list them out! That said I don’t regularly try to speak on the topics that I am ignorant on.

Neither do I, but sometimes people don’t realize they are ignorant. Now if a person doubles down on being ignorant when shown evidence to the contrary, that’s when I really lose faith.

It's nice to see 10 Meter Air Pistol getting some exposure.

I got a nice Baikal target pistol and started shooting in my house every night. The thing was a tack driver and my scores were getting pretty good. I looked aroud for a local competition. No luck!

But there was a .22 winter league. So I got a nice target pistol and got back into shooting. That evolved into Bullseye targets shooting. My range was set up for 50 yards, so of course, a fella needs a .45 acp bullseye gun, right?

I've gotten older, and as my eyesight goes, I find I like this new "Sporting Clays" shotgun thing more than pistols now. Much more fun making up excuses for missing other than "Wow, I am getting old."

Back to the 10 meter air pistol competition, I liked that the gold medalist didn’t have any eye patches or apertures attached to his glasses or any other high tech gear. Some people said he looked like a hit man. Reminds me of when I go to military matches, I don’t own a shooting pad, and I throw down a sheepskin to lay on for prone.

Back to the 10 meter air pistol competition, I liked that the gold medalist didn’t have any eye patches or apertures attached to his glasses or any other high tech gear. Some people said he looked like a hit man. Reminds me of when I go to military matches, I don’t own a shooting pad, and I throw down a sheepskin to lay on for prone.

I believe you’re thinking of the silver medalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Is he allowed to vote, work, drive?
Yes. I can almost guarantee that there are topics on which you are ignorant, just as there are with me. Voting isn’t something we gatekeep based on what we personally consider important. That’s a very slippery slope.
A product of public education..................

I stopped going to matches for similar reason. They live in different world; the tight, the sling, the calve bag, the funny hat and eye glasses, the fancy guns. They look like robots than humans. I went back doing things by myself.

True that I can't afford the expenses. At least $50 per event even with membership.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

There are “educated” people that think because they have a degree in some field that makes them an expert in all things. Even those with PHds in some Liberal Arts that has no value other than teach it to next generation.
Many people I see on the tube have no idea what they are talking about especially when it comes guns.

Fun expression

If you don't think too well, don't think too much. A 10 meter gun, now that would be something. The issue as I see it, too many are clueless when it comes to metric dimensions. They don't know the difference between a micron and a meter. Prior to retirement I sold equipment made in Japan, got tired of doing conversions, however it's quite difficult to purchase a metric tape measure in the USA, gotta buy one online. Metric is far easier and simpler than Imperial to use. I just worked in Metric, it was simpler and less likely to make an error.

If you don't think too well, don't think too much.

Good land, that's a fun saying.

I wish I would have said it...but I console myself knowing in the future I will. (And this saying isn't original either!)

When they went away from real ammunition, they went away from real guns. It's now just airsoft, or simunitions, or some other baloney, like that.

Back