10 Gauge, does anyone still make them?

I believe the advent of the 12 gauge with 3.5" chambers led to its demise as well as the outlawing of lead

I have one....i love the thing....bought it for turkey years ago...when I got the gun I also got several boxes of copper plated federal shells...got several boxes....2-4-6....4 buck....never had a turkey or anything else walk away from it...it is a killing machine at 60 yards+....killed a coyote one time with no. 2 at 80 yrds...it knocked him down and he never got up....my buddy looked at me and said if I wouldn't have seen it I wouldn't believe it

My boy has one of the shoulder breaker 3 1/2 guns....I wouldn't trade him....I like the 10 much better...and I think it hits harder

My .02

Ocharry

Browning still lists the BPS. I had about 7 or 8 rifferent 10 gauges and the BPS was the lightest. I had 3 and none ever missed a beat. With steel we were shooting LESS weight of shot and the gn makers thought we needed 3 more pounds of gun to do it with. My last one a machinist friend and I figured out how to get about 2 pounds off of it. For big birds and/or big shot, nothing beats a 10 gauge.

The Ten had a brief resurgence in the late 80's - 90's, as turkey hunting boomed. H&R, Marlin and Mossberg all had big single shots with 30"+ barrels. Some had a pump and even some semiautos. Great for geese too. Cowboy shooting keeps some antique guns shooting. I have a 1882 Remington SxS 10 gauge. I load black powder shells for it.

occasionally

I have, in the course of nearly 50 yrs of gobbler hunting, crossed paths with 3 other hunters carrying 10 gauges in the woods. In two of those instances, it was the same guy, though a couple of years apart, and on two entirely separate WMA's, a hundred miles or so apart (gobbler hunters get around). That fella's 10ga was an H&R, with a short factory say 24-26" barrel and very stout. The gun was actually quite heavy, more so than my short barreled 12ga Rem 870. He claimed it killed gobblers with authority.

The other 10 ga belonged to my pal Sammy, and was a customized Browning BPS. The barrel had been shortened to 24", and a tight turkey tube swaged/pressed permanently flush with the muzzle. All the metal work had been done with some type of custom high tech drab coating, and the stock had been epoxy painted with a dull color as well. It shot 2-1/4 oz of #4 lead into patterns to point of aim with a bead sight, that were astounding, and Sammy (more honest than Lincoln) claimed it killed gobblers cleanly to 60 yds plus. We named it the turkey bazooka, and I wanted it if he ever thought to sell it.

To keep my post short, I will tell the story of that shotgun later.

the turkey bazooka

Earlier, I described the customized BPS 10ga that acquired the nickname. Good friend Sammy suffers from back injuries and in an attempt to minimize recoil, had a custom stock outfit install a spring piston buttstock that could be adjusted to lessen recoil, or so it was said. Thus the ugly spring thing went on the rear of the BPS. The stock was adjustable as to spring tension/rearward play, and the shop set the unit up so there was considerable bounce in the arrangement. Test fired by the shop, the gun came back hard and severely bruised the stockman's cheek. Spring was readjusted for more tension, but shop was reluctant to fire it again. So Sammy, bad back and all, took a shot, with near the same results. When I came by, he had an ice pack on his face and was flat on the couch. Stock was by then adjusted to full tension, but nobody wanted to shoot it.

In grand "y'all watch this" I volunteered, and by that time the stock was dialed in and worked as intended, and recoil really was lessened. I likened it to about regular 12 ga high brass recoil. Sammy recovered of course and hunted the gun for several seasons. Eventually though his back condition worsened and he could not really get around in the woods well, and had to give up hunting for the most part, a darn shame. He called me as I had indicated I was interested in the gun.

Sammy had reinstalled the factory butt stock, the gun looked good, the ugly spring thing was gone. It pointed well, and some impressive target patterns were on display with lead #4. But I did not buy the gun. It was absolutely far to heavy for run ridge to ridge with all morning chasing long legged gobblers, even on a sling. Additioinally, if you ever found yourself covering a gobbler that had hung up, in sight, but out of range, and were unable to move, I doubt one could have supported the gun for long enough at all. I bet that BPS, even with it's bobbed barrel, weighed 10 lbs plus, loaded 3-4 rounds and a sling. Maybe good in the duck blind setting on the rack waiting, but sure not what I wanted hoofing it for gobblers.

The Browning Gold semi-auto comes in 10 ga. $1,799.99 MSRP.
One of the guys came in the shop long ago with an O/U, 32" barreled, 10. Weighed 14 pounds, as I recall.

After steel's arrival and before tungsten I had quite a fling with the 10s for awhile.
The first was a BPS wood and walnut with a 30" barrel. Got it the night before early duck season and killed two wood ducks with the first two shots. Thereafter I got three more BPSs, an Ithaca Mag 10, and a couple of SxSs. There is nothing like a 10 for long shots on big waterfowl, but they were all too damn heavy.
I liked the Richardson 10 the best when shooting in the great wide open, but it was way too heavy to get into action quickly, and I was not a small guy. Broke two parts on the Mag 10 and repaired innumerable others so it wasn't big on my list. I finally - with the help of a machinist - modified a 28" Stalker BPS and got about 2 pounds off it. Huge improvement. But then tungsten arrived and I quit practicing at 70 yards on high speed targets so I went back to a 3" 12 gauge.

I can see the 10 being viable for long range waterfowl with steel shot. But even for that the better 12 ga loads aren't too far behind. And most people want the versatility of a 12. I wouldn't go out and buy a 10. But if I had one I might put it to use.

The advancements in shells and choke tubes has probably negated the 10's advantages for turkey. For wing shooting a long shot string is a bad thing, but for stationary shots at turkey much less of a disadvantage. The 20, with proper loads and chokes is now a viable 35-40 yard turkey gun. And as much walking as involved in a lot of turkey hunting I'm finding an easier to carry 20 appealing.

I have my Gramps 1930's vintage old H&R Heavy Breach 10 gauge, 2 3/4" full choke. Old paper black powder shells are impossible to find. I still have some left, but most won't go off. A year or two ago, I did locate some late 60's vintage Remington plastic hulled #5 at a gun show.
Kicks like a SOB! :D

I remember my neighbor and his brother-in-law. The BIL had a Mod 12-12x3" back in the mid 50s. He was the only guy that I ever knew then that had one, a real duck hunter.

Now that is a "small gun."

Back