10 cents a primer . . . still worth it.

Prof Young

Was at local range talking to owner, learning about his plan to expand his inventory. I asked if his plan was to carry reloading stuff too. He hadn't made up his mind about that, but . . . had some primers for sale . . .including small pistol primers!!!!! SCORE. $100 for the brick. Glad to have them. Looking at on-line 9mm, even at its cheapest is still 40 cents a shot. Even with 10 cent primers I can still reload my own for less than half that.

Life is good
Prof Young

I've seen them cheaper here and there, but pretty rare right now. Cheapest I found was $5.99 per hundred locally, but they sold out fast and didn't get any more in.

I’ve got a little stash left from Pre-Covid era … personally I’m staying away from new buys until price is at 5 cents a pop. That is still almost double price from Pre pricing. (Yeah I have bricks of SPP at $25 to $27 bucks

I really don't see much of a price decrease until price of raw materials drop. Officially inflation is at 7.5%, guess whoever came up with that number hasn't been grocery shopping lately.

Things could be worse, primers could be made of ground beef or cat food. :eek:

I'm riding my primer stocks from better days. They'll last a while.
I did just have to pay way too much for 209 primers, though.

I brought 6 lbs of pretty decent steak home last week.
Wife saw it and freaked out. "How can we afford that right now!? Are you insane??"
'Look at the price. The cheapest ground beef was $8 a pound.'
"What? Why is steak $5 a pound when ground beef is 8?"
*shrug* 'Clown world.'

Brownells is letting you buy 2 1,000 boxes in each order so at least you can spread the shipping and Hazmat over 2,000 instead of just 1,000. I bought 2,000 CCI primers last week because it doesn't seem like prices are coming down any time soon. I still have some Federal small pistol but I want to save those for revolver loads.

Like OP said, $.10 a primer is still a lot better than $.40 per round.

Wow.
I’m bitching that I won’t pay $94.99 Canadian ($74.46USD) for Federal Gold Medal Small Pistol Magnum GM200M which a local store has in stock.
I paid $74.99 ($58.79USD) for Winchester Small Pistol Magnum a few weeks ago from the same store.
I didn’t own a Magnum till about 18 months ago.

As long as people are willing to 'pay', no need for prices to come down. Same with anything. Today I saw the prices of a new RAM truck. Mind blowing, but the article said basically more buyers than have trucks.... So why not keep prices high? Strange world we live in today.

Last time I saw primers in a store, they were $179/1000 for large rifle and he only had 3 boxes of 1000 left; he had every Hodgdon powder, every CCI/Federal ammo from .22short to 338, and bullets galore, but primers were nowhere

$0.1 a primer adds 7 cents to each round. I accept that if I am dry. Since I'm not, I can still look for lower prices. $75 for 1000 (no tax, no fee) is the best I have managed to do recently.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Was at local range talking to owner, learning about his plan to expand his inventory. I asked if his plan was to carry reloading stuff too. He hadn't made up his mind about that, but . . . had some primers for sale . . .including small pistol primers!!!!! SCORE. $100 for the brick. Glad to have them. Looking at on-line 9mm, even at its cheapest is still 40 cents a shot. Even with 10 cent primers I can still reload my own for less than half that.

Life is good
Prof Young
Have at it young. Desperate people do desperate things.

Bill

If all I shot was .223 for blasting out of a Palmetto Armory AR or just wanted to make smoke and noise banging plates with a 9mm pistol I doubt if I would reload.

However most of my shooting is 6BR at 800 yards, there is no factory ammo produced for 6BR's. My benchrest rifle is a 30 Major, I have to form my own brass for that. You can't even buy brass for it, let alone factory ammo. Lately I have been doing a lot of 6.5 Grendel. Wolf steel cased is 2MOA at best and Hornady/Federal is #2.50 - $3.00 a round. Even using Lapua Scenars I can reload for less than a buck a round. Same for 6 ARC. My old standby .260 Rem has reasonable priced factory stuff at $2.00 per round, but I can make better for less than a buck

Anyway I am comfortably retired and spending my daughters inheritance. She is married to career military so she won't need it I plan on living out my last decade or so enjoying myself and spending every dime I need to do so.

Bought a brick of CCI small pistol primers two days ago for $90 plus tax, $97 and change out the door. First I had seen on the shelf in a loong time.

Well I had a saying about used gun values. Any gun on any given day is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, no more and no less. With that in mind I guess any primer on any given day is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, no more and no less. As long as buyer and seller are happy with the deal life is good.

Ron

Back