10.5" + 5.5" = 16" Legal???

Fargo

I recently saw a pre-ban AR15 kit gun for sale. It had a 10.5" barrel with a 5.5" flash hider
welded to the barrel. This equals a length of 16" Is this a legal configuration? What is
the legal barrel length for a rifle? I always thought it was 16" but I have also heard that
16.5" is the legal length. Is it 16" or 16 1/2"?All of the Colt's that I have seen use a 11.5" barrel with a 5.5" flash hider to make the barrel a legal 17"?

If this gun is a legal gun and the price is right would you buy it? Is the gun going to be
reliable with the short 10.5" with extended flash hider? I heard that the shortest you
want to have the barrel is 11.5" with barrel extension for the best reliability.

P.S. does anybody make a 5.5" post-ban muzzle extension for the CAR kits with the
permanently fixed retractable stock? I would also like to make a post ban CAR.

Since it's permanently attached, it's legal. It's when you can remove it or if one were to remove it do you cross the threshhold of legality.

I personally would request a ruling on official letterhead from the BATF. Then I would keep a photocopy with the weapon and the original in a safe deposit box just as I do with Class III weapons.

For rifles the legal length is 16" and shotguns is 18". As posted above, a permanent attachment (such as muzzle control devices) can help achieve the legal length.

Fargo, Bushmaster can help you. They have an AK style "muzzle brake" which is 5.5 and pinned and welded to an 11.5 barrel (need the extra inch for the threads) and it makes it 16" and legal. I was told by Bushmaster that they got approval from the BATF on the attachement method for legality. As far as the Fixed CAR style stock check out Olympic Arms.

The rifle from Bushmaster is definitely legal. On the question of accuracy/reliability.. Bushmaster has made a ton of these uppers and I have never heard anyone complain. Personally, I wouldn't want one, but some people seem to like the idea.

Back