10/22 vs Remington 597

Hays

I am considering both of these rifles. What are the pros and cons of each? I appreciate the advice.

The 597 is more accurate (1" @ 50yards easy) and has better ergonomics in it's stock form as compared to the 10/22 in its stock form. The 10/22 has more aftermarket parts which can be used if you are willing to spend to bucks to make it more accurate than a stock 597. For a good rifle in .22LR the 597 is the better choice. If you plan to sink a lot of money into one for benchrest type accuracy then the 10/22 is the way to go.

There are also hi-cap mags available for the 10/22, whereas there are none available for the model 597.

Has anyone here taken apart a model 597 for cleaning? I am curious how maintenance compares to the Ruger 10/22.

I have HAD a 10/22 and I now have a Remington 597 I would not go back to the 10/22. Here is what I have found on both rifles

The 10/22 has a LOT of aftermarket parts and a good history. You can get high cap mags for it. Acurracy in the ones I have shot had been average to good.

The Rem 597 is not that much more than the Ruger. It has a free floated barrel. A MUCH better trigger, and much better ergonomics. My 597 is much more accurate than my 10/22 was, or any of the 10/22s I have shot for that matter. (keep in mind however my 597 is a 22 Mag) The one and only downside to the 597 is dissasembely.
The stock comes poff using two hex screws. But then comes the fun part. There are two screwes set into the back of the reciver that you must remove. After you remove these work the bolt and the two guide rods will pop out. This is simple. Putting it back together though is a real b*tch The springs on the guide rod are actually a spring inside of another spring that you slip over the rod. You have to work them onto the guiderod while under tension from the bolt. The first time took me about 45 minutes. I can now do them both in under 10 but still it is a pain and some of the edges inside are sharp. Trust me on this. Frankly though I think the 597 beats the 10/22 hands down in every catagory except for takedown and cleaning. If you can live with an extra five to ten minutes for cleaning then go with the 597. Especially is you want a 22mag. a 10/22 in 22WRM is about $450.00, a 597 is the same as the 22 version $275.00.

P.S. I do not see the lack if High Cap mags as a down side in this case. I use this for Squriells and other rodents so I would not lug around that large mag anyway.

I bought my 597 just before Christmas, love it. At least as accurate if not more than any of the many 10-22's that I've shot, plus the stock fits me better. It does not like the cheap bulk pack Rem "Golden Bullets", but does thrive on Win. or Fed. Everywhere around here, the 597 is cheaper than the 10-22 by at least $20.
Disassembly is easy, but fitting those springs and rods back together is a bit of a pain, the first time I did it, I launched one across the room. It does get a lot easier/faster with practice.
I'm not sure if it is still going on, but a store was recently displaying a $20 rebate coupon from Rem. Check their website. They had that deal going when I bought mine, final cost after rebate was only about $110. Yeah, 10-22's are nice, and high-cap mags are available if you want to double your investment in the gun (why didn't I buy about a 1000 of them for $10 a pop to sell now at $50+). All of the other parts are a little ridiculous also, why put $500 + into a $150 rifle for plinkin? Competition, of course would be another story.
just my 2cents
bergie

Back