10/22 Volquartsen hammer and sear or let smith doit?

Scratch

Should I buy the hammer and sear replacement from Volquartsen or should I let my smith do a complete trigger job on it. The cost is about the same. I know the Volquartsen is nice can the smith match that? Or get it even better?
The smith says he is going to use the parts in the rifle already
Thanks
Scratch

Hi, Scratch,

I'll probably get run over by folks giving advice, but I think the decision is yours. How would I (or anyone else here) know your gunsmith or what he is capable of? I see no reason a good smith should not be able to do as well as newly made parts, but I have no way of judging your smith. If you buy the parts and they don't do what you want, you have not a lot of recourse as in most cases companies will not let you return parts that have been installed. If the smith doesn't do a good job, you can have him fix it for free.

Jim

I've installed the Volquatsen parts before and ended up very happy with the results.

I'm guessing that your local Smith can accomplish similar results with the stock parts.

If you like to tinker, by all means go with the Volquartsen parts. If you trust the work of your local Smith, use him. It's really your call on this "no lose" decision.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

I have done the work my self. And let me tell you there is nothing they can do with a 10/22 that you can't do yourself. Assuming of course that you can turn a screwdriver. Just clean up the sear and hammer of the stock gun with a little jewlers rogue and some elbow grease. A little goes a long way. That combined with a target set trigger from Brownells will do the trick.

------------------
An X is still an X with a Quarter Inch group at 100 yards
With a Quarter Inch Group on the keyboard an X could be - Z,S,D, or C.
I am a quarter inch typist - Please excuse the errors!

Since the price is the same, I'd have to go with the smith, if you have problems, he'll fix it. In addition, I bought the Volquartsen target hammer for a 10/22, and ended up getting the trigger done anyway. While it did reduce the trigger pull, the creep was awful, and I just couldn't live with that.

Back