10/22 Target barrel

WinMag

Just picked up a 10/22T, and have been doing some research on it. The standard 10/22T comes with a hammer forged 20" bbl. I have read that velocity is lost at any barrel length over 17" when chambered in 22LR. I have also noticed that there are a lot of different manufacturers of bbls. I want to be as accurate as I can be with this rifle. I also know that ammo type plays a big role. Do any of you who have any experience with this rifle have any suggestions? ie. what bbl would you recommend upgrading to, and at what length. Would you recommend upgrading the standard lamenated stock with a fajen/Bell & Carlson/Butler Creek? or glass bed the barrel channel in my standard stock? Last question, what do you think of the 10/22 upgrades that Cabelas offers?

Any help would be appreciated,
WinMag

Hi WinMag,

I don't think I'd do a thing to the rifle yet. There are a bunch of unanswered questions that are key to getting (good) advice.

What do you need for accuracy? What are you planning to do with the rifle? What do you expect from the rifle?

There are several factors here - the trigger can stand some fixing. The ammo you shoot will be a (very) key factor. The scope and mount will play a huge part in the quest for accuracy.

Tell us more........

Giz

------------------
Vote Democratic! 1 Billion Chinese can't be wrong......

Your new 10/22T would probably benifit from some action upgrades from www.volquartsen.com

An improved trigger pull is probably the most accuracy enhancing upgrade you can do. Leave the stock barrel in place. Ruger makes darn fine barrels. It's just that it's so easy, and so much fun to "tinker", that everyone is doing it.

If you really have a burning desire to build a semi-custom 10/22, I would pick up an inexpensive "beater" at a gun show, and use it as your starting point.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Hey Gizmo99,

Thanks for the reply! I am looking to achieve at least a 1/2 inch grouping at 50yds for small game hunting purposes. I also want to shoot out to 300yds for plinking purposes and to challenge myself and learn more about bullet arc, ballistics, and the effects of wind on the round, etc... I expect my 10/22 to be my plinking/small game shooter that I can shoot and have fun with, without having to worry about burning a barrel out like my other high powered rifles. I am also a stickler on being as accurate as I possibly can...getting the most out of all my firearms.

OK...I know that I am going to get some slack on this....I have a Bushnell 3x9 mounted on it right now, because thats all that I can afford at the moment. I do have a Leupold mounted and zero'd on my 300WinMag that I would like to keep on it because I hunt large game and do so on a regular basis.

About the trigger job, would you recommend getting the titanium acessory package from Cabelas (includes hammer)?

Also are there any tricks to installing a new barrel on the 10/22, or do you recommend a threaded barrel?

Finally, what type of .22 ammo would you recommend I try first?

Thanks Giz,
WinMag

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. You must have posted the same time I did. I have also read the same about the Ruger barrels. Would you recommend glass bedding the barrel channel on the Ruger laminated stock?

WinMag

WinMag: You don't need to glass bed that heavy barrel. It'll probably shoot better left free-floated. The best thing for your rifle is a good trigger job, either from a good 'smith who has worked on several 10/22's, or with some of the better quality aftermarket parts. I'm leary of titanium parts - I put a titanium hammer in one of my 1911 Govt.Model 45ACP's years ago; the slide wore grooves in the face of the hammer after a couple of thousand rounds. I think titanium is too soft for sears & hammers; good old A2 tool steel is much better for this application. Get your trigger the way you want it, and do some serious testing off a bench of all the different brands of ammo you can find. Most 22RF barrels will show a distinct preference for one or more brands. I've consistently had good accuracy out of several rifles with Winchester Super-X. If you can find some of the target grade ammo locally, it might pay to test it too. Have fun!

Back