10/22 Target Add-ons

Bill Mitchell

Staff Alumnus
I just purchased a basic 10/22 that I want to start converting into a target rifle. This month's Midway catalog has a special on Fajen Thumbhole stock and heavy barrel combos. The price for the stock and heavy fluted barrel is $178,but it doesn't say what make of barrel it is. Wondering if this is a good deal,and whether I should just get the stock and look elsewhere for a barrel?

Bill

Bill, Can't answer the question as to the make og the barrel but one of my shooting buddies did the same thing you are talking about a while back. It's a good looking rig and shoots 1/4 min. of turtle at ranges over 100 yards when the wind lays down. The price is right! Mine doesn't shoot that much better than his with me or him shooting both rifles side by side.
Have fun.
Hank

Hank, do you know if a heavy barrel is available for 10/22 with a front sight dovetail for match sights, similar to Anschutz?

Brian

Brian, You could get most any gunsmith to cut one for you. I think that George might give you better help here. I have a scope on mine.
Hank

Bill, that strikes me as a pretty darn good price. I don't know who makes their barrels, but I have built up two target guns using Butler Creek SS unfluted barrels, which are about the cheapest heavy 10/22 barrels out there, and both will routinely shoot 5-shot, 0.5", 50-yd. groups with CCI green tag, and an occasional 10-shot group with same, if the wind and I do our respective parts.

My suspicion is that a lot of the cheaper heavy 10/22 barrels, such as Green Mountain, Hogue, Midway, and Butler Creek, are probably made by the same manufacturers, though I have no proof of this.

BTW, th BC barrels are 20", most others are 18" or 16", if it matters...

The Fajen stock alone often sells for nearly that price--might have to lay one in for my next project...

Ron, As this is a moderated forum and we are in the polite company of others I should probably not answer your question. BUT
As you know, 1 min. of angle "MOA" is one inch at 100 yards. 1 min. of turtle "MOT" is a bit harder to figure as they come in varying sizes. I no longer participate in using turtles as reactive targets but the phrase has stuck. We are talking turtle heads at range here if your 22 will do the job at ranges out to 100+ yds. you are shooting
1/4 MOT.
Flame away, I have thick skin and I don't do this anymore.
Hank

I built up a target 10/22 using the Fajen thumbhole stock and Midway barrel. I bought this as an unfinished stock kit for $109 about a year and a half ago. I would *not* recommend going this route (assuming they still offer unfinished stocks) unless your time is not worth much. It took many hours of shaping and sanding to do it right.

It looks beautiful and shoots to point of aim at 50'. I would highly recommend you also plan to replace the trigger with a Volquartsen assembly ($50-60) and if you scope it to get a mount that extends forward of the receiver, over the barrel, to get the most flexibility in scope placement. I have a 6.5x20 Vari-X III on mine for silhouette shooting and with the short weaver-style base I bought, I can't get it quite far enough forward for my tastes. I like it a lot and it gets lots of ooohs and aaahs when I pull it out of the case. Now I want to get a *real* .22 silhouette rifle like a Sako Finnfire.

Back