10/22 Scope Mount Re-Tap

Mosin-Marauder

Two of the scope mount holes are stripped out of my receiver, and I'm thinking about getting them re-tapped to a bigger size so I know my sights won't get knocked out of place. My 10/22 is close to 8 Years old, and I'm not the first owner of it, I was wondering if it would be possible to A) Get the screws re-tapped (most likely can be done). and B) Still be able to Use my original scope base that came with the rifle. I'd probably just loc-tite the screws and then leave them in this time, as I have a sight setup worked out. Thanks to any help you can provide.

ALSO:
What screws would I need and what would I have to retap to?

Regards,

-Mo.

There's many ways to deal with stripped out holes.
You could try epoxy or solder and the original screws in the original holes.
If that doesn't work, then try something more aggressive, like re-tapping either a larger size or filling and tapping for the same size screw.
As for the question of what size screws, just get a thread measuring tool from the local hardware to be sure.

Last edited:
You might get by going one size higher, and using a fine or extra-fine thread. The problem is, as screw size goes up, the threads per inch drops. On thin receivers, you need at least four threads biting, and better, six. Fine and extra fine threads are used for this in thin materials.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...nells-146x48-scope-base-shop-kit-prod795.aspx
"just retap to .146"-48 and install 080-719-212WB"
1 Dz. Weaver .146"-48 Screws $6.99.
Sounds like you need this, too:
080-719-000WB shop kit.
.146"-48 Shop Kit $67.99

At a rimfire silhouette match, one of the competitors had his mount come loose due to loose screws.
Another fellow who was chewing on a toothpick pushed a piece of it in each of the stripped out holes and replaced the screws.
It held the rest of the day.

Last edited:
Would this work as well? About $20 Cheaper, and I wouldn't need all the screws.

080-719-112WB

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...t-prod795.aspx

And this Tap

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod41617.aspx

Yes, that would work perfectly. I've used the same thing on a few 10/22 receivers with stripped out screw holes. Just make sure to use the same type screw head that your base uses. If your base uses the tapered head - Weaver type - screws, make sure you order those.

You wont get by much cheaper, as those taps are custom size, and cost Brownell's a good bit. I think the kit, besides all those screws, has the two different taps, but you may be able to get a bottom tap to start into the threads easy enough, since they are already there. When it's a blind hole, you'll need it anyhow, when tapping to the bottom is needed.

I think mine is a flat base base screw, but the ruger uses a weaver rail. So just get a bottom tap? Is there anything special I should know about doing this?

Yes-

Once you get it all done & stick an optic back on the gun, LEAVE IT ALONE & STOP FIDDLING WITH IT!
Denis

Will do! No more fiddling!

:D

I've ceased all fiddling :D

I'm going to keep the tech sights on them, though, and I am thinking of maybe a red dot Later.

Remember- the more you screw & de-screw, the greater your chances of encountering the phenomenon typically referred to as re-strippation.
And you can't keep re-tapping that alloy receiver indefinitely.
Denis

About a year ago I retapped a 10/22 8-40
Required to open up the base holes as well
The client was happy with the work

Back