10/22 Reciever

jfisk

Inactive
I have a Ruger 10/22 reciever that I removed the finish. As many know the reciever is aluminum and cannot be blued. I was told that it needs to be anedized or something like that. The problem is I can't find anyone that can or will do it. I contacted Ruger and they basically told me it sucks to be you. I need to know if anybody has any suggestions. If you are wondering why I took the finish off, it was starting to peel all over. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Jfisk, if you don't find anyone near you I can handle it for you. Black or Clear $110.00 plus shipping. You can e-mail me if you like. George

I may be wrong but I think Brownell's teflon moly finish will work on aluminum too. Check with them. The price is right if it will work. I've used it on pistols and it works pretty good.

You can paint the receiver, that's what Ruger did in the first place. You can also take it to almost any local sheetmetal shop where they make cabinets out of aluminum and apply a baked on finish, and have them finish it for you. You'd probably be wise to mask it carefully before you turn the pain loose on it. If it were mine, I'd buy a quality enamel of the color and finish of my choice and paint it myself.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think the original finish was anodized. Anodizing will not peel off. It can be scratched or worn, but it takes a lot. I could be wrong, but the finish on 10/22 receivers appears to be a paint like substance. Perhaps it is baked on or maybe not. If you look inside the aluminum recievers of some rifles, you will may notice they are bare on the inside and that their is "overspray" of black paint. Anodizing would be a good finish if you wish to pay for it. I don't know how much it costs, but remember, a new standard 10/22 is about $150. It may be difficult to put a significant amount into a standard rifle if that is what you have. The reciever is the one part you can't replace. I would suggest getting some good quality black paint and just respray it.

[This message has been edited by RHarris (edited June 28, 2000).]

Like I said, I'm 99% sure it was some kind of paint finish, and it's real easy to paint it with some satin finish enamel of some sort.

Are there any shops in your area that do custom car work? If there are check and see if any of them do powder coating. I've seen it work on all kinds of car parts.

Back