10/22 malfunction?

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this, but I'll try anyway.

I went to the range with my Rugar 10/22 earlier today. During the shooting session, I was about 3 rounds into the magazine when the firing stopped. I thought it was a jam, or maybe a shot that didn't fire, so I put the safety on, ejected the mag and opened the action. I didn't see any round in the chamber, so I put the mag back in the rifle, and continued firing. I didn't run into any more problems during the rest of the session.

Is this something I should worry about? Or just a random occurace?

------------------
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
-Thomas Jefferson

Is this rifle new? Have you used that ammo before? Insufficient data to form a conclusion.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.

And more questions - Is the magazine new or used? Do you know if it has ever been dissassembled for cleaning?

The gun and mag are new. I've had each for about 3 months.

I haven't shot it much. I've shot about 200 rounds total through it since receiving it. The ammo is the same kind I used before, Remington .22 LR Lighting ammo.

------------------
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
-Thomas Jefferson

I'd say if it only happened one time, don't worry too much about it. It could have been a light round and the bolt didn't retract all the way, a bit of debris in the mag, a burr in the mag, one or more rounds slightly forward in the mag making it drag a little.

If it continues, replace the mag. You can disassemble the mag to inspect it for mold burrs if you know how to get it tensioned correctly when you put it back together. Enough tension is very important for correct mag operation. Normally it is not necessary to ever take one apart.

Cameron
like most weapon systems it needs to be broken in a little..I have two and each has over 5000 rds I dont even have feed problems until about 2000 rds fired then I clean the chamber area mainly but over 10000 rds never failed to fire and about .5 inch at 50 yards.. :D <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cameron Rhyne:
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this, but I'll try anyway.

I went to the range with my Rugar 10/22 earlier today. During the shooting session, I was about 3 rounds into the magazine when the firing stopped. I thought it was a jam, or maybe a shot that didn't fire, so I put the safety on, ejected the mag and opened the action. I didn't see any round in the chamber, so I put the mag back in the rifle, and continued firing. I didn't run into any more problems during the rest of the session.

Is this something I should worry about? Or just a random occurace?

[/quote]

Here's a question for ya,

Are you using Ruger magazines, or aftermarket mag's? In my experience, the Ruger products have yet to give me any problems - and we are talking something like 20 years of service now. I've had numerous aftermkt mag's which have given less then stellar performance.

On another note, I don't think that I ever had problems with anything right out of the box. Good thing that Ruger has excellant customer service...

Unkel Gilbey

Back