10-22 mag stuck

The Plainsman

I have two 10/22's (one mine, one my nephew's) and both of them have the magazine (empty) stuck in them. I can get both of them about 1/4" out (sticking out the bottom), but there they stay. I've tried all sorts of lub's, etc. My last resort, unless someone in authority says DON'T, is to grab them with a pair of channel-lock pliers and attempt to "extract" them.

Any ideas?

Go for it!!! But go easy and wrap the ends of the pliers with some masking tape. Probably just some grit and gruder putting them in a bind. Give them both a good cleaning when you get the unloaded mags out.

I have to ask, have you tried locking the bolt back, pushing the mag release in, and then pushing down on the mag from the ejection port. Mine stuck that way once and thats how I got it out. Dont mean to state the obvious here. Small screwdriver before the channel locks please :)

I had a similar problem with mine after I swapped my factory wood stock for a Chote tool Co. Polymer....I had to whittle on it a skosh to get the mag to drop free....Lock the bolt and Gently push from the top

Some of these people scare me. Spray some lube (PB blaster/liquid wrench) into the mag catch area. The plunger likes to stick alot on 10/22 from powder fowling & grime that builds up in this area. No channel locks please. As Gopher said :Lock the action back & then use a nylon or wooden dowel to nudge the mags out from the top.(tap very, very lightly). When the mag is out, check for the tell-tell signs of mag stickage: rub marks/ burrs on the mag sides & also the mag well/stock area. Lightly hand sand (Extra Fine steel wool/sand paper) or use polishing compound a little at a time to achieve the fit you require. Then clean the mag each time before you insert into the rifle. If this is beyond your control, please contact your local qualified gunsmith to do the work. This should work & Hope this info helps.

------------------
Old chinese proverb: Life's tough enough. It's even tougher when your stupid. No offense given & none taken.

[This message has been edited by manny1 (edited September 22, 2000).]

If you don't already use them, replace the factory mag release with an extended mag release (Volquartsen makes a nice one, others available). It may not help with your current problem, but it sure makes regular use easier.

I also vote for the push-down option described here.

Last time I had a problem with the 10/22 mag, it was caused by the thing coming unscrewed. When that center-axle type screw holding the whole thing together backs out, the front & back pieces spread apart.

Check that, and lock-tite the thing even if it's not loose.

Back