10/22 bull barrel life expectancy

BOB89

Retired Screen Name
How many rounds will a .22 bull barrel last? Also is the steel reciever with the threaded barrel worth the extra price?

How many rounds? Hmmm. Believe it or not, you really put more wear on the barrel when you clean it than when you fire it. I'm not going to say that a good bbl will last forever, but only because NOTHING lasts forever. I have an AMT Sillouette (10/22 knockoff w/SS rcvr and 24 inch bull bbl.) and I can't begin to guess how many tens of thousands of rounds I've put through it. I buy my .22 ammo by the brick and will fire the whole 500 rnds in a day at the range. I mean the WHOLE day. :D Every 100 rnds or so, I stop to punch the bore a few times and squirt a little lube into the receiver. It's an unholy mess when I get it home, but my last group looks as good as my first.
My bbl has got to have somewhere around 50,000 rounds through it so far. The .22 is like the .45acp. It's such a low pressure load that you really don't put any significant wear on the bore. (I have a .45 Barsto bbl that I kept a record book on. After 50,000 rnds, I quit counting, as the bbl still looks as good as it did when I installed it.)
I like to shoot my .22 at 100 yards. Not for any particular reason, just a little more challenging, and I love to see the faces people make when the see the little ragged hole I make in the target. For some reason, folks don't think the .22 is accurate past 25 or 50 yards! It is, it's just more of a challenge to dope the wind with a .22lr than with a .223 Rem. In other words, you have to dope the wind! :D
As far as the SS receiver, it is probably better than the Alum, If for no other reason than you can thread the rcvr and install a threaded bull bbl for slightly improved accuracy. Is it worth the money? That depends on what you want to do with it. Mine is unthreaded and it can shoot MOA all day long. (Provided I do my part and the wind's not too fickle.)

------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.

Thanks for the info. I just didnt want to spend much money on a barrel that would only last 10000 rounds (probably about 2 months) but want something accurate that doesnt cost as much to shoot as my AR.

Back